Randomisers (randomizers)

• So I've gotten into a few randomisers over the past number of Months. I enjoyed playing the Ocarina of Time Rando a few months back and I recently got into the Super Metroid X Link to the Past rando and I've been enjoying that one too. I tried the new Mario 64 rando that randomises level entrances, the number of stars required to open doors in the castle and the locations of coins, stars, enemies and blocks within missions. I have a lot of mixed feelings about this one due to some of its impossible placements although the rando itself is getting constant updates to improve the experience.

What are some of your favourite randomisers? Is there a game that you would love to see randomised that isn't yet?

I would love to see a Banjo-Kazooie randomiser that shuffles all the entrances. It would take a lot of work on changing various aspects of the game's code so that notes and jinjos don't reset when leaving levels among other things.

• I'm a simpler sort who prefers Fire Emblem Randomizers -- specifically FE6 and 7. This is mostly cause of the sprite palettes of characters, which really add an aesthetical flair compared to other games in the series. 3D games have amusing headswaps but they're practically always the "so-bad-it's-good" ironic sorts, while FE8 tends to be standardized palette-wise...and monster classes don't have palettes period. With 6 and 7's sprites, you can get some aesthetical results you wouldn't expect that actually look pretty cool.

alt text alt text

Though obviously, some people look better in certain classes than others.

• several castlevania randomizers have gotten recent updates, especially SotN, which has expanded to now shuffle some more things past just relics, and has somewhat of a sizable racing group

the combo randomizers are a little much for my tastes - they're clever, but a lot to do in a sitting, and i would totally forget what i was doing if i don't finish them right then

i've been looking into the crystalis randomizer lately - it's kind of difficult, but the devs have made a number of changes that improve how the game feels to play, and logic that requires the use of glitches is pretty much already a feature. the game's triggered events are a bit of a mess so that can make learning it a little hard, but i like it so far. it's mainly an item and enemy shuffler, though bosses are always in their same places