Kingdom Hearts III and Fanservice

• View the video for this post on YouTube

Click here to view this post on the main site.

• I have next to no love for the KH series, but figured I’ve leave some critique!

Based upon the thumbnail alone, I wouldn’t watch. It’s too empty, uninviting and lacks any personal touches. Kingdom Hearts has tons of fantastic visuals and with the amount of free space available, you could have easily implemented a character or two. Especially as this video and its subject matter focuses greatly upon how characters are treated! Plus the logo and text don’t appear aligned which I admit, is a little annoying on a personal level. lol

If you are ever struggling to find assets from a game you are covering I’d suggest using the inspect tool on the official website (Right click > Inspect) and seeing what images can be opened or visiting sites like “The Cover Project” if you are doing something a little bit more retro related.

Audio wise, what you say is clear and direct. Flow is natural and intertwines nicely. It comes across as an actual conversation rather than a stilted performance. That said; it’s the additional audio elements that I have issue with. Songs just stop and you transition to the next, sometimes with a pause of dead air. Take advantage of cross-fades! If you are using Vegas it’s a simple case of overlapping. Adobe Premier you have a choice of effects such as Consistent Power or Gain. These sudden halts are very noticeable due to the variations of tone and instrumentation present with the KH OST compared to say if you were using midi or chiptune.

Script was your biggest strength. Thoughts presented without bloat and you didn’t hold too long on a subject matter. You respected that the viewer understood and followed the KH series enough to be able to brush upon or leave a comment be within the span of two to three sentences. Genuinely have no grievances here, props to you.

Editing was fine I guess? Obviously the footage was used from elsewhere but it did seem to limit what you could present forward with your own discussion points. Especially the fan inclusion scene; I’d have cut to a screengrab of the website or a news statement tied to it, instead just opting to repeat gameplay of the attack. At least to freshen up what is displayed to viewers. But that itself is part of the trouble when footage isn't captured directly

I think you’ve got plenty of room to grow and improve, decent showing overall. Good luck with future content.

• Watched your video, thanks for making it! I would absolutely agree that this game does an excellent job delivering on tasteful fanservice (aside from some MINOR details, which you definitely nodded at in your video) that feels respectful of the community around it.

In terms of critique, my sentiments are pretty much mirroring what Tentacle said in the post before mine. I think the content of the video itself was well handled, but I think your thumbnail work could use more love overall. The centered logo with text underneath approach feels pretty sterile, and doesn't lend itself well to a video talking about your gushing thoughts and opinions on a topic.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to new content, keep it up!