Tanner's Art Dumpster

• Just felt like sharing a thread with y'all showing off some of the artwork I've done in the past, and a lot of new stuff I'm whipping up! Everything will be in spoiler tags so it doesn't take forever to load everything at once. I'll be updating this periodically with new work, so feel free to drop any comments or questions about anything I'm doing if you like!

Also, all this artwork is copyright to me, Tanner Simmons. Feel free to share but please give credit! All characters and concepts from fan art based work is copyright to the original creators, of course.

thewaragainstgiygas.png
    An Earthbound fan art piece I whipped up several years ago to celebrate finally beating one of my favorite games from my youth.

9(ianmckellen)small.jpg
    A digital portrait of a man who should need no introduction.

kuwabara2018.jpg
    An illustration of Kuwabara, one of my all time favorite good boys from the anime Yu Yu Hakusho.

52(nerdicons).jpg
    Some character class icons for a Dungeons & Dragons style game project that I started a ways back but never ended up finishing. Too many projects! Making these was a ton of fun though, vector style iconography is always a treat to design.

p1urkratproof1.jpg
    p2twinsproof1.jpg
    p3glubrubproof1.jpg
    p4wickateeproof1.jpg
    A set of character illustrations for an as of yet unannounced personal project I'm tackling. More details coming soon!

That's it for now, but check back later for new stuff! Also, if you're interested in having some art commissions done by me, I'm taking work! Contact me through the email in my signature and we'll chat! Thanks for dropping by though guys, hope you enjoy <3

• Whoa, this is some high quality stuff! Really love those goblin designs and that EarthBound piece!

• @AlfalfaTheRoach

Thank you so much! The goblins were incredibly fun to do, as I haven't had the opportunity to do original creature designs like that in quite some time. That Earthbound piece is still a personal favorite of mine. It's something I'd love to try and revisit as a "redo" piece sometime down the line after I feel I've leveled up more as an artist haha

• I love these! You do a great job employing this neat sense of perspective that gives your works a very unique dynamic and fluid quality to them—like with the Kuwabara (YYH blesssss) and Earthbound pieces.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work! What's some advice you can impart to any aspiring artists out there? Naturally a lot of it obviously boils down to "practicepracticepractice", but how do you approach it to make that practice as productive as possible?

• @Ikarou

Thank you so much :)

As far as advice goes, every artist has a different affinity for how they work, but in my personal experience, being very project oriented helps a ton with being productive.

I don't do a whole lot of random doodling, but I do really enjoy creating artistic goals for myself and then executing on those plans as efficiently as possible. For example, this past October I gave myself the challenge of drawing a Dragon Quest monster every day of the month to experiment with using soft brushes versus my usual hard brush heavy style (I'll post some of these up at some point for you to see!). Having a deadline in mind and a list of the monsters I wanted to draw beforehand really helped me get prepared and focused to do those pieces once I got to them. I was definitely moving things around and tweaking my list partway through as well, so never be afraid to reevaluate a project partway or feel you have to be rigid with a personal project from the get go. If it better informs how you're doing things, it's worth it to reevaluate the plan you laid out at the beginning.

Working on my webcomic The Whatever Chronicles has also been great for getting used to pushing out content on a regular basis. Even though that comic isn't the most demanding to work on, it gave me a task that needed to be met regularly and helped me maintain good habits with myself by not waiting till the last minute to deliver.

Outside of that, practice and experiment. If you find something you're passionate about or have a cool idea, don't wait on it. Start iterating on it and give it your best. If it doesn't pan out as well as you hoped, that's the beautiful thing about ideas: there's always new ones to explore and iterate on.

I hope that helped (and made sense haha)! This is just my take though, there's a number of practices and approaches that work for different people. If something's working for you, stick with it! Just don't be afraid to poke out and see what other people are trying too, you can learn a lot from others.