Dead computer lost writing

• So I'm a writer of fanfiction and some poems, I had my computer for 8 years. A few days ago the internet and USB ports stopped working, I don't know what to do with the fanfics or even how to address the issue online, any help?

• @Blindman It depends on what you need, really. If you need a new PC then taking it to an IT shop is best. They should be able to transfer any and all documents you need. If you go for a custom build you can simply use the same harddrive you've got now - as long as the harddrive isn't broken that is.

If you've got a laptop it might be a little trickier, but I think any IT repairperson should still be able to find a way to transfer your files.

Whatever you decide to do the answer is the same: take your computer to an expert. Maybe you've got a fixable problem and you don't even need a new computer to begin with.

Also, for future reference: upload your documents online. All my stories are on a Dropbox server and all my documents I need for school are on OneDrive. It means you'll never have to worry about any of this shit happening, since there's always a chance of you never getting it back.

• Parroting the earlier advice, take it into a shop and they can probably find a way to transfer the stuff on the hard drive to something you can access. USB ports can be fixed.

@Raeker said in Dead computer lost writing:

Also, for future reference: upload your documents online. All my stories are on a Dropbox server and all my documents I need for school are on OneDrive. It means you'll never have to worry about any of this shit happening, since there's always a chance of you never getting it back.

This can be dangerous to rely on solely because you can never be sure of when online services will change their policies, or go belly up, and restrict access to your own work. It's unlikely but possible.

I would recommend in the future, in addition to using online sources, to have an external hard drive that you schedule to be regularly backed up on, and to save copies of your work to both your personal computer and your backups as well. Probably when you get a new computer since your USBs are busted anyway lmao