Puzzle Topic

• Once upon a time, there existed an evil entity that was so evil, every time we mentioned him, we had to append the word Evil (capital E) to the beginning of his name because he was so EVIL. That person's name was Evil Evil Mashi, or Evil Mashi for short.

Due to a temporal time paradox, Evil Mashi is no longer with us today (he's not dead, just in a parallel universe). In fact, this is the reason our forum has been brought anew.

In spite of his non-existence, his legend will remain strong. For no matter what universe you find yourself in, there will always be Evil Mashi puzzles...

Cannoli Points:
    Fawfil 5
    Shivers 5

Please leave your answers in spoiler tags.

The spoiler format is like so:

bd73ce87-eabc-4902-b144-3a518b84e8cf-image.png (hi slike)

Now, somewhere in a parallel universe...

Mashi: Evil Mashi! You need to stop creating Evil Puzzles (TM)!

Evil Mashi: Very interesting to hear a riffraff like you make demands. And why should I stop?

Mashi: I've been looking at them and they are too evil for people to attempt them.

Evil Mashi: Luh! How evil I am to make them waste their time!

Mashi: Make no mistake, Evil Mashi, I will not rest until I have put an end to these evil puzzles of yours!

Evil Mashi: Ahahaha, and how do you plan to achieve that?

Mashi: Simple! I'll solve all of your Evil Puzzles (TM) myself so that no one will feel the wrath of your evilness!

Evil Mashi: How will you solve this one then?

Mashi: I don't understand what you mean???

Evil Mashi: Well, you're in a puzzle right now, aren't you?

Mashi: Ah... so this is the game I must play...

Evil Mashi: So have you solved it yet? If you can't solve it before it's posted, the rest of LLF will be forced to attempt it!

Mashi: How am I supposed to solve it before it's even finished!!!

Evil Mashi: Even if it were finished, I doubt you would be able to solve it tbnh

Mashi: Really? :( Even if I had a hint?

Evil Mashi: Even if you had a hint. Luh!

Mashi: Maybe you could give me a hint then? Pleeeease?

Evil Mashi: "Ants have poor-to-mediocre eyesight and a few subterranean species are completely blind."

Mashi: So that's supposed to be my hint???

Evil Mashi: "However, some ants, such as Australia's bulldog ant, have excellent vision and are capable of discriminating the distance and size of objects moving nearly a meter away."

Mashi: I'm still not sure how to solve this one...

Evil Mashi: So then why don't you give up? Mwahahahahaha.

Mashi: Unfortunately for you, I'll never give up!!! I think I might have an idea about the solution, but I don't think I can solve this before it ends without one last hint about the message.

Evil Mashi: Xylophones.

• Evil Mashi here, Mashi sux!!!!

• Here's an actual puzzle to start us off with!

Evil Mashi captures Mashi and Filafel and takes him to his secret lair! Because Evil Mashi is, well, evil, he decides that the two should play a game with him to determine their fate! He tells them, in a day from now, he will tie the two of them to chairs in a locked, mirror-less room and put either a white dot or black dot on both of their foreheads (but not necessarily the same, Evil Mashi likes to be unpredictable sometimes). After some amount of time (but a reasonable amount, Evil Mashi likes to watch them suffer), Evil Mashi will ask them both to simultaneously guess the color of the dot on their forehead. If one of them gets it right, they both go free! Otherwise, Evil Mashi will lock them in his lair forever!

How can our valiant heroes avoid succumbing to this terrible fate? They have the entire day to come up with a plan while Evil Mashi is off making onions cry and stealing candy from puppies.

Also, since Evil Mashi is Mashi from an alternate universe, he will instantly see through any attempt of the two of them to communicate once the dots have been placed, and lock them both up forever if they try to do so! In fact, he'll put two locks on the door if they do so!

• Mashi's lust for evil has left an opening for our valiant heroes. By allowing them to plan, a simple solution presents itself.

During the planning phase, Filafel says he will always say the color of Mashi's dot. Then Mashi says he will always say the opposite color of Filafel's dot. Considering there are only four possibilities here, this covers all of them:

Filafel's Color Mashi's Color Filafel's Guess Mashi's Guess Result
    White White White Black Filafel Correct
    White Black Black Black Mashi Correct
    Black White White White Mashi Correct
    Black Black Black White Filafel Correct

• Congratulations to you both! I have awarded you both 5 brownie points! Shivers was supposed to receive 25, but 20 of them seemed to disappear somehow... I did happen to find some empty frappuccino bottles laying around where I left them, but I imagine they must be unrelated.

Here's another one in case you want a fresh puzzle!

One day, Evil Mashi was feeling bored and decided to flip a coin 9 times (9 is his favorite number). For once, the coin was a fair coin with a 50% chance of landing heads and 50% chance of landing tails.

He then began wondering; what is the probability that after 9 flips, there is an even number of heads?

• Aghast! I have come upon yet another puzzle, and need your help!

05cec188-a36a-42ea-95e7-c17831d91523-image.png

I have a square fence containing 9 sheep (represented by the excellent dots that I have drawn). I'm trying to add some more fences so that each sheep is sectioned off from all the other sheep because when two of them are fenced in the same region, one of them hops on the other's back to get over the fence and steal my frappuccinos! Fortunately, my sheep always sleep in the exact same location every night (roughly as shown in the picture), so I can assume I'm adding the fences when they're situated as above.

What's making this difficult though, is that my vendor, Ihsam Live, only sells indestructable/inseparable square fences! For some reason, all square fences he sells are the same price, no matter their size. Unfortunately, I can only afford two of them!

Can you help me figure out a way to section off all my sheep with two square fences?*

*The fences are allowed to intersect

• @Mashi

place one s.t. it hits the midpoint of each existing side (or extends past so there's no ambiguity), then repeat

i think it's just 0.5? this distribution is symmetrical, and "even number of heads" is just another way of summing up half of it since there are 10 possible outcomes

hey, nice to see this topic back

• Courtesy of Liggy for discovering this EVIL puzzle:*

Evil Mashi has sent Mashi to the e v i l dimension!!!! Mashi wakes up after being unconscious for years and sees he's on an evil hill! Evil hills have the nasty quality that no matter where you're standing on them, you're always standing at the average height of any circle around you. Mashi notices that in the distance, four feet away from him, there's a line that's a shore line. He also notices that at between him and the shore there's a huge mountain that goes up pretty quickly! (It's a foot tall a foot away from the point between mashi and the shore and only ever gets higher!). Mashi doesn't see that the evil high gets very high anywhere else. How high is the hill where Mashi is standing?

*this puzzle requires advanced mathematical techniques

And another one!

Evil Mashi decided to take a walk one day on his perfectly spherical model of the Earth in our dimensions (he knows that the Earth is an oblate spheroid, but made it inaccurate because he is EVIL). He turned himself south and then walked one evil mile, then turned east and walked one evil mile, and finally turned north and walked one evil mile. Amazingly, he ended up in the same spot he started!

Where could Evil Mashi possibly have started walking from?

*Please note that Evil Mashi's model of the Earth has no land on the North pole because it melted. 😔