Skoops' Amateur Art Station (Now with 300% more shameless plugging)

• alt text
    Gift for my friend, BLK, after his folks brought up an embarrassing story about him from some years back. Slightly embellished, but yes, he did in fact drink shampoo once. I also went mad with power after fiddling with making my own glows without just using glow brushes and had far too much fun with it.

• alt text

I've had this scene in my head for about a year now, and while I've attempted to draw it more than once in that time, it just never worked out right. This is Ajax sitting in the forest with his dear friend, Abigail. They met one fateful day under some unusual circumstances, but Ajax, despite his kind and gentle demeanor, cannot understand English. Abigail begins to try and teach him to read and speak her language so that she may be able to communicate with him, partly due to her curiosity regarding the nature of his bizarre form and mere existence, but also as she feels drawn to his kind and gentle nature.

I've been fiddling with Ajax's design yet again and decided to remove the red cloth from around his neck. (It's not gone entirely, but he'll wear it around his waist instead) I was, however, stupid and forgot to draw it here, so I'll have to add it when I do the inking. And if you're wondering, yes, Ajax has gotten a bit bigger since I drew him last. I've calculated his height to be 12'2" since then, and Abigail, being a young girl of about 11 or 12 years of age, is naturally quite small by comparison. Perhaps someday I'll be able to share Ajax's story, but today is not the day.

Hopefully more to come before long, though!

• alt text
    A very good friend of mine sent me a drawing tablet they were no longer using so I don't have any excuse to keep using bad tools to make digital art anymore. This evening I got it set up and spent a couple hours fiddling around with some doodles in a voice chat. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, but it's pretty weird. Probably not going to get properly comfortable with it for a long while.

...Also don't ask. A lot of these were just me drawing whatever nonsense came to mind, or something someone in the VC suggested.

• alt text
    Worked on this for the last couple days; wanted to try and play with lighting a bit.

• alt text
    Finished this about an hour ago for Bowser Day! I usually forget about it, but this time I made and posted it before midnight!

...On Twitter and such, anyway. It's 12:30 at the time of me posting here because I forgot. OOPS.

• alt text

Was talking to a friend the other day about a giant Torterra character I'd created but done basically nothing with, and I felt inspired to dig up the sketch and give him a new design. This would likely be his standard attire, but I was really just flinging ideas at the canvas and seeing what felt right.

I don't think I ever really detailed what kind of person he was here, but Guy is a very sweet, warm, and generous person. He lives by himself in a remote area and grows crops for himself and for sale on the occasion that he makes a trip into the big city. He's a very hard worker, and though he is a gentle, kind soul, he keeps himself isolated from society most of the time due to a traumatic experience from his younger days, in which he lost many loved ones to a vicious attack on his home town. As a result, he's very lonely, and eagerly jumps at any opportunity to take in travelers and offer them food and a place to stay on their journeys.

Guy can sometimes be rather overbearing with just how much he wants to do and offer others, and his mental state can only be described as deceptively naive at times, as he has a very difficult time reading other people when their words betray their actions. He is, however, incredibly knowledgeable about all sorts of plants, food, and even cooking. Despite his massive size, he's not fond of combat, nor is he particularly skilled in a fight, and prefers to settle things diplomatically when tension arises.

For anyone wondering, this was the original design from 2015: alt text

• Guy seems like an awesome character from what you describe. Nice drawing also.

• alt text

Yes, more Pokémon. I'll spare you all the long backstory. Basically, a long, long time ago, I had an idea for a story about a WWE-style Pokémon program. Scrapped the story because it was frankly boring garbage, but I liked the cast and wanted to keep them. Recently, I felt moved to try and design them to give them some life beyond my WordPad document that only I ever see. This is the first of hopefully many, and I want to see if I can't get around to all 53 of them eventually.

This is Joe, known as The Oven on stage. He's a rather shallow heel whose gimmick is a lot of food and cooking-related jokes, though in reality he's one of the warmest and most outgoing folks in the roster. He used to be a chef many years ago and still has a strong passion for both baking and cooking, (as is probably apparent by looking at him) and takes great pride in his craft. His career change was very abrupt and he doesn't like to talk about it, but he's otherwise very open and approachable.

• alt text

Wrestler #2! This is Brian F. Gunther, though he goes by the handle "Big Guns" during his performances. He's very loud and rather arrogant, and often uses his pride as a way to get the crowd riled up and generally keep the mood warm. Most of it is played up to be rather cartoonishly extra, and in person, while he is still a bit obnoxious, he knows when his banter is no longer appropriate and will offer others a moment when he senses that they need it. He can be a bit rough around the edges and doesn't always leave a good first impression, but he's a solid friend to anyone who gives him the chance.

• alt text

I was drifting around the old, dusty side of my dA account today and found some memories I'd long since forgotten about. Back in 2011, I made a couple of crocodile brothers, named Neal and Aus. They were the first completely original characters I'd ever designed, and yet...I hadn't done anything with them in over 10 years now. I thought it would be a good creative exercise to revive these special guys who represented the first steps I took in shifting my creative works from strictly fanart into more of my own, original settings and characters. After a decade of being buried and fading from memory, I wanted to see what I could do with these guys now, and tried flinging some ideas at the canvas. I think you can tell which ones were first and last, but if you can't look at them from left to right, top to bottom. I don't plan on keeping these guys around for the long-term, but I am interested in the possibility, at least! This was quite a bit of fun to work on, especially since the original designs were characterized about as much as a bucket of rocks, giving me a large amount of freedom to go in whatever direction I felt like for these guys.

Kinda liking the idea of Neal, the shorter, more fit croc, being a bit cocky, a little more jockish, and generally less of a touchy-feely kind of guy, being the older brother. Aus, the taller, heavier one, on the other hand, is very bright-eyed and a little dense, but he's sweet and he means well, and he loves his big brother to a degree that Neal finds annoying or embarrassing a lot of the time. But at the end of the day, they're family, and despite their differences, they'll always have each other's backs when it really matters.

• alt text
    I wanted to draw something today. I wanted to make a cool thing. I think at some point I compromised because I spent 2 hours failing to get anything to come together and also decided I wanted to play with perspective and lighting.

Also I'm still bothered by the fact that Groudon isn't canonically kaiju-sized. Is that just me? Probably.

• @Skoops said in Skoops' Amateur Art Station (Now with 300% more shameless plugging):

Also I'm still bothered by the fact that Groudon isn't canonically kaiju-sized. Is that just me? Probably.

Definitely not just you :wave:

• @Kaiveran said in Skoops' Amateur Art Station (Now with 300% more shameless plugging):

@Skoops said in Skoops' Amateur Art Station (Now with 300% more shameless plugging):

Definitely not just you :wave:

Yay, I'm not alone! Speaking of alone...

alt text
    Someone told me I don't draw Ajax enough the other day. So I drew Ajax. I was supposed to finish a revised reference sheet for him ages ago but I never did. But this is more or less what he looks like now. (Except I completely forgot to give him little fins under his tail, but I remembered for the next one)

alt text
    Speaking of redesigns, I've been working on trying to change Lex's proportions to make him a little less humanoid. I think the shorter legs looks a lot better on him, personally. I shortened Ajax's legs, too, while I'm talking about this, though not as much as I did for Lex. Also changed his feet to match how the rest of his kind look, and altered the shapes of his wing stubs to make more sense in my brain.

alt text
    And have a Boaz while we're here. I've been frustrated for the last couple of years because I can never get him to look right whenever I try to draw him, but this is the best attempt since...probably 2019. Maybe 2020. I've been wanting to fiddle with giving him pupils, but I'm also just partial to the pupil-less look. He just looks so much less menacing with pupils.

alt text
    I also had an inexplicable need to draw a big guy in a suit last night. I drew Ajax in some fancy garb many years ago, but I wanted to turn it up a notch. I think he looks rather nice in a light suit. If it wasn't for the fact that it would make absolutely no sense for him to be able to get an outfit this nice sized appropriately for him in-lore, I'd consider keeping this as something he could wear.

• alt text

alt text
    I made a strong dragon grandpa today. Villicus, an elder of one of the dragon villages who adopted Lex, is a very wise, calm, and gentle fellow. He has a good sense of humor, but can be quite empathetic and tender when he needs to, showing great concern for others. He often takes his time to make decisions, even relatively small ones, as he wishes to set a good example for the rest of the village through both his speech and actions.

Got 9 more of these to design, and hoping to take care of that throughout the month.

• alt text

alt text

I made another dragon elder tonight. I've drawn this guy a couple times before, but I think I've finally codified his design. This is Kustos, Lex's adoptive father. He's very sensitive to injustice and always puts himself out there to protect and help others. He's got quite a lot of energy for his age, and can be quite playful or even mischievous at times, but never in a malicious way. He's one of the oldest and strongest of his body of elders.

• alt text

alt text

Here is Serenitas, another dragon elder. She's quite kind and always strives to solve problems both peacefully and effectively, and is able to think very quickly even in the most dire of situations. She is able to hold her own in a fight when left with no other options, but it upsets her to be forced to resort to such action.

• alt text

alt text

Meet Salus! He's the youngest and largest of all the dragon elders, but he's also very warm, social, and sweet. He loves gardening and cooking and taking care of others. He often prepares crops and meals for his fellow dragons, and is always one of the first to reach out to others if he senses they're uncomfortable or need any kind of help.

• alt text

alt text

I swear I'm going to finish this cast. This is Pugna! She's a spunky and scrappy dragon who's one of the younger elders. Her rash nature tends to cause her to speak out when she gets upset, and she's quick to pick fights when faced with injustice, but her fellow elders are always there to settle her down and stop her from acting out.

• alt text

alt text

The oldest of all the dragon elders, this is our first elder for the Valley of Mastery! He often can leave a rough first impression due to how blunt and opinionated he is, but once you get to know him, he's actually quite a silly and fun fellow. He loves music and singing, and often hosts music festivals in the valley. Portus is often regarded as the most level-headed, and dragons often seek his wisdom for guidance.

• alt text

alt text

Meet Mitis! She's the second elder of the Valley of Master, and she's one of the oldest of both valleys. She's very warm and sweet, and has a contagious energy that often puts others as ease around her. Often dragons will turn to her for emotional support, as she's quite the maternal figure for the village. She, like Portus, is very musically inclined, and the two of them have bonded over their mutual appreciation and love of the art and have cultivated feelings for one another over the years.