What's Your Unpopular Opinion About A Film?

• For me it was Rogue One where I realised I could be on the complete opposite side of something from all of my friends and most of my family. I do not like Rogue one, I'm not a star wars fan so I thought that maybe Rogue One would be my opportunity to finally get into the star was world a bit but it was just so uninteresting to me. I was literally (for the first time in my life) checking my watch to see how much longer it had to go. I didn't find the characters overly interesting and I didn't feel emotionally connected to them. My favourite parts were the small Clone Wars connections they made but apart from that, the movie held nothing for me.

• The Star Wars prequels are better than people give them credit for.

• I was literally gonna come into this thread and say that I thought Rogue One was unmemorable and bland when I noticed OP already took care of Rogue One for me

So instead I'll say that Space Jam is a cinematic masterpiece

• Mad Max: Fury Road was a really boring movie. Yeah, yeah it was beautifully filmed and it had some important themes. But oh, good heavens, it was so boring!

I actually really enjoy the DC superhero movies.

• Digimon: The Movie is peak cinema if only for its second act (coughOVAcough) with Diaboromon. Hosoda's trademark fast-paced fluid narratives and rapid-fire comedic jabs really shine in what's a well-directed and appropriately dense half an hour feature. God, I love it so much. Cheesy localized soundtrack and all.

Unlike most people, I watched The Incredibles for the first time a little over a year ago, and compared to how universally adored the movie seems to be, I wasn't all that impressed. Did my overinflated expectations going into it warp my perception of it coming out of it for the worse? Probably. However, I LOVED the sequel and felt it did a great job building off on the first one, although I don't think that's really that unpopular of an opinion.

• @Raeker said in What's Your Unpopular Opinion About A Film?:

The Star Wars prequels are better than people give them credit for.

Yes. Going off of this, Phantom Menace is the most enjoyable prequel by a country mile, and feels the most like a Star Wars movie.

The Disaster Artist was incredibly disappointing and underwhelming. I know "the book is better" only goes so far, but I felt that the film really glossed over the weird, quasi-threatening relationship between Greg and Tommy in favor of The Room fanservice, which really stripped the film of what made the book so compelling to me.

The second Nightmare on Elm Street is the best sequel until New Nightmare - and even at that point, it's still probably the best one.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre was the best horror movie to come out of the 1970s. Not the most influential I guess, compared to Halloween and The Exorcist, but it's held up by its own merits today more than the other two.

Sorry, got a lot of hot takes

• Incredibles 2 is the worst Pixar sequel that least understands what makes the original memorable and chases modern trends and predictable plotlines and gimmicks. This includes Cars 2, because at least that one decided "screw it, nothing matters, they're spies now" and is such a drastic departure I can't take it seriously. Incredibles 2 completely misses that family dynamic outside of a few VERY select scenes with Bob, but he's reduced to a child in his most intimate moments that thoroughly stomps on his development from the first film.

Street Fighter is a better Raul Julia comedy than The Addams Family.

• @AlfalfaTheRoach I love Space Jam :D

• @Vulgar-Chocobo Yeah I always thought the Phantom Menace was alright, compared to the others and of course it had one of the best end fight scenes. Yeah, it had the bad acting but if you go back to the first few Harry Potters the acting is awful from some of the kids yet their beloved movies.

• I thought Passengers was a really good movie. I left the theatre singing its praises with two of my friends who really loved it too, only to check what it got on Rotten Tomatoes and find a 30% rating. There's such a big disconnect between my friends and I and that score, we were so surprised at the time to see it get such a low rating.

• Street Fighter is the best bad movie ever made.

• @Ghost said in What's Your Unpopular Opinion About A Film?:

Mad Max: Fury Road was a really boring movie. Yeah, yeah it was beautifully filmed and it had some important themes. But oh, good heavens, it was so boring!

I actually really enjoy the DC superhero movies.

Haha, I watched this with Zero! I remember asking him about what he thought about the movie and he paused before saying it was "aggressively average." Our favorite part was seeing the guy play the guitar that shot out fire. I agree with you though - if I didn't have Zero's commentary to go with it, I probably would have been very bored watching the movie.

I think the car crashes and explosions and the like may be appealing to a certain audience, but I think it did ultimately detract from the potential messages it had about feminism, environmentalism, religion/culture, and other themes. At least, I found it distracting, personally. To be honest though, I can't say I particularly remember much about the visuals.

• @Ghost said in What's Your Unpopular Opinion About A Film?:

Mad Max: Fury Road was a really boring movie. Yeah, yeah it was beautifully filmed and it had some important themes. But oh, good heavens, it was so boring!

IMO, I thought it was only boring until the dust storm scene; after that, it really picks up. My favorite scene is when Max leaves to kill the Bullet Farmer. The movie gets even better when you realize it's pretty much just a long car chase with the departure and arrival points being the same. I haven't seen the other Mad Max movies so I can't really compare it to them.

• @Vulgar-Chocobo said in What's Your Unpopular Opinion About A Film?:

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre was the best horror movie to come out of the 1970s. Not the most influential I guess, compared to Halloween and The Exorcist, but it's held up by its own merits today more than the other two.

Agreed very much. Unless you count Jaws as a horror movie (which I sort of do), Texas Chain Saw Massacre is my favorite horror movie of that decade. Like you said, Halloween was probably more influential on later slasher movies, and helped defined the conventions of the genre more, but Texas Chain Saw Massacre is the one I prefer of the two, and I still find it to be a pretty scary movie to watch today.

For my own part, I'll say that while I enjoyed Black Panther a lot, I wasn't as taken with it as a lot of other people were. It probably isn't in my top 5 Marvel movies.

• i don't undertsnad how anyone over the age of 16 enjoyed Donnie Darko

• In the Dark Knight, the Two Face scenes were better than the Joker ones.

• Zootopia had nothing ground breaking going for it aside the animation.