• Denuvo

Have a question about anything? Want to make a suggestion to improve the forum? This is the place for you!
 #337137  by Iggy Koopa  Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 pm
So yeah, I was planning on getting that new South Park game until I learned that it had Denuvo. Just for clarification, is it legal to get a cracked copy?
 #337138  by Goombachi  Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:40 pm
It's not necessarily the cracking that's illegal, but the distribution. You could technically get a cracked copy if the creators sanctioned it, but good luck with that. Any cracked copy is also going to be a pirated copy since any attempt to sell cracked copies is illegally against the creators' intended distribution and would get shut down as soon as attention is brought to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_cracking
The distribution of cracked copies is illegal in most countries. There have been lawsuits over cracking software.[10] It might be legal to use cracked software in certain circumstances.[11]
PS, this isn't an ehtics question, future "lol just pirate it tho" crowd.
 #337209  by smilefires  Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:11 pm
kinda wish there was a list of games not to buy because of morally reprehensible practices out there

sometimes it's just a matter of reading the steam page but that might shortcut me searching for games in general