• Questions and Answers

For discussion of non-video game topics. The floor is yours!
 #338191  by Goombachi  Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:27 pm
I don't have a lot of time between Designing For and the job search, but the forum's dead, so why not.
You've seen the topic before. You ask a question, you get an answer, because I know everything and you know nothing.
That's sarcasm, btw.

Each person should only ask one question until it is answered. Multiple people may ask one question each. Older questions get priority.

Let's party like it's 2010.
 #338193  by Goombachi  Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:38 pm
Yoshi's Island is still my favorite, and probably will be for quite some time. It reminds me of a simpler time when I was unquestionably happy, even if I didn't realize it. Too many fond memories with that, too few lost family members. I can't dissociate Yoshi's Island with the feelings of childhood and the belief that I could accomplish anything.
 #338198  by Jester  Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:31 pm
Are there any professional sports teams or athletes that you follow, or would consider yourself a fan of?
 #338199  by Goombachi  Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:35 pm
Does pro wrestling or esports count? No?
Then no. But i do appreciate some like Mike Tyson and Charles Barkley from an outsider's perspective.
 #338212  by Goombachi  Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:57 pm
Occupied with other things.
I can say that and actually mean it because of Designing For, job searching, personal projects like this, and just enough video games to keep me from going insane.
 #338220  by Goombachi  Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:23 pm
Genres aren't really my thing. I take a very passive look at all art forms, but especially music--if the world introduces me to this thing or that thing and I like it, well, so be it. My tastes are probably broader than most, but also a lot less refined, which means it's not the best conversation starter but it does mean I'm open to more things. It's very easy for me to get attachment to songs from movies or games for that reason, because they already have associated context to them.

When I was a kid, I wrote up a Paper Mario sequel in a big old notebook. I didn't seriously think anything would come of it, but it was fun to think "maybe someday." In that game concept, I made up a tutorial area with tribal Goombas with jewels for eyes. I liked the sound of "the Goombachi tribe" so I went with that. And then I joined a different forum than this one and I couldn't think of anything better out of a combination of being bad with names and having even less of a self-concept than I do now.
 #338224  by Goombachi  Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:46 am
I have a fondness for learning about weapons, a fondness grown out of research from Mercs.

That one is the Puckle Gun, which has racism built into its very design in a hilarious way--it uses normal bullets for Christian enemies, as well as square bullets, which were claimed to be more effective against the Muslim Turks.
 #338228  by Jester  Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:09 pm
Are there any examples of characters in video games you like mainly because of how they control, or you find playing as them fun?
 #338230  by Goombachi  Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:32 pm
Yes.
-Mr. Game & Watch is and probably always will be my Smash Bros. main, due to associated nostalgia and because I love his very fast, risky but powerful playstyle. And where else am will I get to play as a frame-by-frame fighter?
-Tielle in Recettear is the best character, I really like her arrow charge mechanic, makes shooting through loads of enemies a lot of fun (almost like a twin-stick shooter)
-Eve in The Binding of Isaac is amazing once you know how to break her (Make Whore of Babylon always activate by replacing all Hearts with Soul Hearts)
-Big Band is the only Skullgirls character besides Fukua I can play with a modicum of success, so I appreciate him for the sake of giving an option to a fighting game illiterate like me
-Yoshi would just be a glorified power-up if he wasn't so fun to use. Especially in Yoshi's Island, eliminating the run button and the egg aiming mechanics are brilliant

I could probably think of more.