• Games of 2016

Here is where we store the best and most memorable topics of LLF lore, as well as any records of special events. Warning: Many topics are of a silly nature.
 #329641  by Yugikun  Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:18 am
Well, 2016 is nearly over and it’s unlikely that I’m going to complete anything else by 12 AM so here’s the list of everything I’ve completed, plus some brief thoughts on them.
whoh this is huge | Show
Games Finished This Year:
  • Goosebumps (1/1/16) - Probably the best movie tie-in game I’ve played. Can get sorta adventure gamey, though, with its millions of items.
  • Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad? (Beat all secret game modes) (3/1/16) - It’s an okay collection of minigames, although probably something you should be gifted rather than buying it yourself.
  • Higurashi: When They Cry - Chapter 1: Onikakushi (11/1/16) - Man I’m going to need to watch the anime for this before I check on the other three episodes I have because I don’t remember much of what happened here.
  • Organ Trail: Director's Cut (14/1/16) - Cool retro throwback and really, really cool music (seriously). Best played with friends around, though.
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (18/1/16) - Probably the first game here that I replay, mostly because all my hangups with the game were probably born from my own incompetence at it. It’s probably good, though.
  • The Cat Lady (21/1/16) - Really cool story with really awesome moments, but it can get adventure gamey at points and the voice acting is pretty lacking. Game I’d rec most out of all the ones I played in January, though; just out of a “hey, check this out” thing.
  • To The Moon (28/1/16) - I’m still mad that this game got vital Animorphs information incorrect.
  • The Bottom of the Well (25/3/16) - It’s free on Steam and it’s sorta interesting but the things you’re supposed to do to progress and get a better ending can get really convoluted at times.
  • Sonic Adventure 2 (11/4/16) - Pretty fun! Used it as a time killer during my free periods sometimes. Sonic and Shadow’s (and I guess a couple of Knuckles/Rouge’s) levels are the only ones that I’d consider fun to replay, though.
  • The Typing of the Dead: Overkill (19/4/16) - A B-movie in game form.
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (25/4/16) - Can move sorta slowly sometimes but yeah this is a Phoenix Wright game. 1-4 > 1-5 > 1-3 > 1-1 > 1-2.
  • Valiant Hearts: The Great War (1/5/16) - Great presentation and story, and the faults I think when I play it are really more my fault than anything. Just know before you play the game that you’re not really going to see Spec Ops or anything like that, I thought it was going to be that going in and it really butted my experience with the game.
  • The Walking Dead: Season One (14/5/16) - Yeah go play this if you haven’t. Great story, great characters, and even with the way it actually works I still love the way the game throws choices at you. Fight scenes aren’t really good, though, especially if you use a laptop mouse like me.
  • The Walking Dead: 400 Days (16/5/16) - Yes, I consider this a separate game. Cool set of short stories.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode One (22/5/16) - The first two zones are kinda fun but wow does the game take a nosedive after that. Don't play this.
  • Lucid9 (18/6/16) - Sorta glad I stuck through this. Not that good beginning gives way to a pretty good mystery/thriller VN with some really cool characters. It’s also free on Steam so if you can make your way through the beginning I totally recommend this.
  • One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (3/7/16) - Out of all the games I finished in 2016 this was the one I played the most. Plot is really just a tl;dr version of what happens in the manga and you’re not going to enjoy it if you haven’t read One Piece but yeah if you have read it and if you’re willing to deal with the fact that the plot is really butchered then yeah I totally recommend you play this.
  • The Walking Dead: Season Two (6/9/16) - Gameplay a big step up, story and characters step down to the point where two particular episodes are really mediocre.
  • don't take it personally babe, it just ain't your story (11/9/16) - I like the social media mechanic of the game, but the ending just sorta took all my momentum in liking it and even though it’s optional I still can’t really get past the fact that there’s a literal pedophilia subplot in the game. It’s free though, if you care about that.
  • Umineko: When The Seagulls Cry - Ch.1: Legend of the Golden Witch (22/11/16) - Kinzo and the character introductions were the only part of the first 10% of the episode but right when a certain scene hits it just turned into something that I couldn’t stop reading.
  • Oxenfree (27/11/16) - Really cool story and really cool characters although some of the puzzles could get a little bit finicky. Also lag issues in certain areas, if you don’t have that good a computer. Still, I think it's $5 now, so if you have that money and don’t know what to spend it on I’d point you towards this.
  • Pokemon: Moon Version (1/12/16) - Pokemon is Pokemon is Pokemon.
  • Umineko: When The Seagulls Cry - Ch.2: Turn of the Golden Witch (11/12/16) - Great beginning and end, slow middle though outside of the halloween party.
  • The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth (29/12/16) - man it sucks that afterbirth+ is going to come out in four days and is going to drive the playercount of this game to zero
  • Umineko: When The Seagulls Cry - Ch.3: Banquet of the Golden Witch (31/12/16) - Good to great all the way through. The glitch preventing me from actually finishing it though really did steal my momentum.
Overall, 25 completed this year is pretty good, and makes for a nice middlepoint between 2015 (20 games completed) and 2014 (30 games completed). Hopefully I don’t turn into complete visual novel trash next year!
 #329655  by PT-Piranha  Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:20 pm
Welp... This was probably my best year for playing video games. Last year, I finished 17 games. This year? 35 games. That's more than double, I surpassed that back in June.

There was not one month where I finished zero games, or any month with fewer than two games. At the start of this year, I wanted to complete Tri Force Heroes, Yoshi's Woolly World and Xenoblade X. Woolly World was among the first games I completed. Tri Force Heroes waited until April. I still haven't gone back to X yet.

[spoiler]January: Much better than last year's 1 game. I remember I almost didn't beat Super Mystery Dungeon in time.
Undertale Red
Yoshi's Woolly World
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

February: Another 3 games, keeping it consistent. I remember playing Shovel Knight exclusively at school for some reason.
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Splatoon
Shovel Knight

March: The first time I'd reached 4 games since I started keeping track. I do count the different Fates paths as different games. This started a pattern of 4 games every 3 months. Not a pattern I want to replicate, but those months were fun.
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Kirby Superstar Ultra
Chrono Trigger DS
Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation

April: The first "weaker" month for games. TFH was mostly finishing from other months, so Pokemon Ranger was the real project this month.
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia

May: I finished Conquest before graduating, then slacked the rest of the month. Lampshade has the distinction of being my first post-grad completion. If flash games count.
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
Zelda: Lampshade

June: Another good month. I'll say Robobot was the first real game I started and finished since graduation. Undertale and Zelda both started in March. This and September were probably my favorite months this year.
Undertale (Revisited)
Kirby: Planet Robobot
Goof Troop
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

July: Conveniently played 2 tropical games. All 3 went by quickly. Revengeance is a short game, and I knocked out Starfy the day before my birthday. Sunshine was a lot quicker than I thought, but it felt good to finally win.
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
The Legendary Starfy
Super Mario Sunshine

August: Unofficial Zelda Month. This was the first month since getting hired. But I'm part-time, so it didn't eat my schedule like school did. Maybe when I move to full-time...
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

September: Like I said, one of my favorites. Theatrythm was up my alley, and Minish Cap is one of my favorite Zeldas. And this was also when I got into a serious The Room kick. A pretty solid month. I even started playing Mario & Luigi 1.
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
New Super Mario Bros. 2
The Room Tribute

October: Unofficial Mario RPG Month. Superstar Saga was a blast to revisit and fall in love with all over again. And Color Splash was a very pleasant surprise.
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Paper Mario: Color Splash

November: Kirby was a holdover from October. Pokemon was the real star of this month. but wait i didn't play pokemon sun so it can't be star, it'd be more like a giant rock
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Pokemon Moon

December: A bit of a rush-job this month. But I liked the closure it gave me on the Kirby series, I think I might appreciate it more now. Squeak Squad sticks out strongly from this bunch, while Sonic Colors ended this year on a good note.
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Kirby: Squeak Squad
You Have to Burn the Rope
Sonic Colors

Unfinished:
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record - I just didn't find the time. Maybe someday.
Pokken Tournament - I just found the game too repetitive.
Tomodachi Life - I think I just ran my course with this game.
Bayonetta 2 - I felt like this game was just "too much", you know? There was no downtime.
Hyrule Warriors Legends - I plan on getting back to it, but reliving stressful memories of the game isn't enticing.
Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited - I might still do this one, but New Game + is more boring than I thought.

35/41. Not bad at all.[/spoiler]

But let's see if I only count "effort" games. As in, they took me more than two sessions/days to finish:

[spoiler]Yoshi's Woolly World
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Splatoon
Shovel Knight
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Chrono Trigger DS
Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
Undertale
Kirby: Planet Robobot
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Super Mario Sunshine
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Theatrythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Pokemon Moon
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Kirby: Squeak Squad
Sonic Colors

27 games. Ten more than last year. So even if we cut out the one-nighters and flash games, this was still a better year than last year.[/spoiler]

Now here are the games in order of best grade to worst grade. The uppermost game isn't necessarily the best, just the first game of the year to get that certain grade:
[spoiler]Kirby Superstar Ultra - A
Chrono Trigger DS - A
Kirby: Planet Robobot - A
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - A
Pokemon Moon - A
Splatoon - A-
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - A-
Undertale (Revisited) - A-
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - A-
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - A-
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - A-
Kirby: Triple Deluxe - A-
Yoshi's Woolly World - B+
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - B+
Shovel Knight - B+
Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia - B+
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - B+
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - B+
Super Mario Sunshine - B+
Kirby's Return to Dream Land - B+
Sonic Colors - B+
Undertale Red - B
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon - B
Theatrythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call - B
Paper Mario: Color Splash - B
Kirby: Squeak Squad - B
Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation - B-
Goof Troop - B-
The Room Tribute - B-
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes - C+
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - C+
Zelda: Lampshade - C
The Legendary Starfy - C
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - C
You Have to Burn the Rope - D+[/spoiler]

Top 10: The games that left the biggest, most enjoyable impact on me despite their grade:
1. Fire Emblem Fates
2. Chrono Trigger DS
3. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
5. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
6. Pokemon Moon
7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
8. Paper Mario: Color Splash
9. Kirby: Planet Robobot
10: The Room Tribute
Honorable mention- Kirby: Squeak Squad

I excluded Undertale for being a repeat. And I consolidated all the Fire Emblem paths otherwise it'd clog the list. I feel a little odd putting it above Chrono Trigger, too. And I'm sure when I get to my ranking topic, Chrono will come back out on top. But for now, Fates just... really left this impact on me that holds to this day. So that's my personal game of the year. But let it be known, there were some real winners for me this year.

Final Thoughts:
All in all, an excellent year for gaming. I met my goal of surpassing last year. I spent a lot of time doing what I love and writing about it. Honestly, these reviews were pretty fun to do, and I hope I've gotten a bit better at it since I've been doing it more often. Also I know I don't get a lot of responses, but I'm told a number of you enjoy reading my reviews. I'm real thankful for that, it makes me feel like I've finally found my own niche on this site.

This also got me to revisit some older games I wouldn't have replayed otherwise, and I really appreciate that. I went back to a lot of my "first" games this year. My first Kirby, my first Sonic, my first (completed) Zelda, one of my first Pokemon games... I did these mainly to fill out the list, but I'm glad I revisited them. I worry sometimes that I don't revisit games often enough, so that was cool.

I did run into a problem though- Sometimes I would avoid replaying a game that I played just last year because then it'd deprive me of writing a review. I mean, what else can I say that I didn't say last time? So there were times I'd want to play Majora's Mask or something, but since I reviewed it last year, I opted not to. That kind of takes some of the fun out of it, turns it into work. I'm gonna need to find a way to deal with this.

Next Year:
I got Chibi-Robo Zip Lash and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for Christmas. ...I already hate Chibi-Robo, but Captain Toad looks pretty fun, so we'll see where they go.

Slike brought it to my attention that I'm reviewing primarily Nintendo games. I don't see a problem with that, but I would like some more variety. So next year, I'm gonna shoot for a few more non-Nintendo games.

Also, a new challenge: Every month I want to finish one "old" game. Games like Superstar Saga or Pokemon Ranger 2 are games I haven't touched in years. So in addition to more non-Nintendo games, I want to do at least 12 "old" games. My definition of "old" is that I haven't played it in the last few years. The cutoff year is 2012. Maybe early 2013. So I'm looking forward to that.

See you next thread.
Light Bear liked this
 #329659  by Light Bear  Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:50 pm
Yeah, okay, I'll do a quick runthrough, too. I'll group together episodic write-ups, though.

FINISHED
  1. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse [January 4th - February 6th] - An experimental, more story-driven take on Sam & Max. I definitely preferred it to Beyond Time and Space (which I feel stagnated and fell into too much of a rut), though I don't know if I preferred it to Save the World. Ultimately a good conclusion to the trilogy, I think.
  2. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (via PSN) [January 9th] - Cute and fun, though lacking much staying power. I could see myself enjoying this as a kid, but as an adult it's just a fairly short, mindless game. The jumping's a little too finicky for my tastes as a platformer, and I'd probably say Kirby 64 did the 2.5D platformer better.
  3. Rayman 2: The Great Escape (N64) [January 16th] - Excellent 3D platformer that's willing to experiment on each level, like a sort-of 3D Donkey Kong Country. Also, absolutely top notch worldbuilding, and it does a great job capturing the visual aesthetic of the first Rayman in early 3D, considering the limitations of the time. My copy had a bug that would make the game reset at odd moments, so I technically never beat it - I think I was one hit away from defeating Admiral Razorbeard. But I came close enough, and (what I saw of) the ending felt a bit rushed, so I don't feel too bad calling it done.
  4. Mega Man 6 (GCN via Mega Man Anniversary Collection) [January 17th] - It's Mega Man. It was finally nice to beat this last NES title after years of having the other ones under my belt. Having now played Mega Man 1-3 through emulation, I now realize that the Anniversary Collection is much easier by simple virtue of having a rapid fire button for the NES titles... whoops. Still, it made beating the Yellow Devil in the first game actually possible, so I'm not too inclined to complain. Now all that's left is Mega Man 7, 8, 9, 10, and all the Xs and the other ones too!
  5. Final Fantasy (iOS) [January 25th] - I felt accomplished beating this until I realized this was based on the Dawn of Souls version, which replaces the original's magic charges system with a straight MP system and thus removes almost all of the game's challenge. There are a couple other weird moments, like the Sky Castle being turned into a regular sky castle (look it up), but the soundtrack and ending are still as solid as always. If nothing else, it made me aware of what's proven to be my absolute favorite OCRemix album, which is worth more than the price for admission.
  6. Dragon Warrior [February 14th] - I talked about it here. It's very much an early RPG (the first popular console RPG!), but if you go into it expecting a limited game, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how well it works.
  7. Golden Axe (PS2 via SEGA Genesis Collection) [February 24th] - A fairly standard beat-'em-up I played through as a break from pounding my head on some dungeon or another in Phantasy Star II. The fact that I actually beat it gives it some kudos in my book, but I probably prefer something like the Adventures of Bayou Billy for being a bit more complex (and challenging in a meaningful way).
  8. The Walking Dead: Season Two (Vita) [March 19th - April 16th] - Gooms and I talked about it here. My temper's cooled down on it a bit, I think; getting to know one of the principle writers has helped considerably. I'm not exactly happy with it as a sequel to Season One, but I think that's mostly because while the returning characters are handled well enough (Clementine, Kenny, even Bonnie had her moments), none of the new characters really work in meaningful ways that aren't retreads from previous seasons. In particular, I was disappointed with Sarah, after Joseph had led me to believe she'd be handled in any meaningful way whatsoever. I think I'm far enough removed that I'd be willing to give Season Three a chance, though.
  9. Phantasy Star II (PS2 via SEGA Genesis Collection) [March 21st] - I talked about it here. Probably my most conflicted title for this year; I remember it fondly, but I have no interest whatsoever in subjecting myself to playing through it again, and I can't really recommend it to other people because it's legitimately unfun. But I also think it's worth study for academic purposes given some of the things it DOES do well - excellent soundtrack, strong worldbuilding, and fairly complex storytelling with one or two genuinely heartbreaking moments. Sword of Vermillion was the RPG SEGA used to prove they did what Nintendidn't, but I think this would've been a much better pick, especially considering it was released in a pre-Final Fantasy world stateside.
  10. Maui Mallard in: Cold Shadow (SNES) (replay) [March 26th] - The only game in my bi-yearly rotation that I managed to play this year (the others being Jedi Outcast and Ghost Master). Jedi Outcast I just did last year, but Ghost Master I'm long overdue to play; maybe I'll finally figure out how to do a proper LP for it like I've been promising for years. Anyway, Cold Shadow is still good and still a contender for some of the best 2D animation in gaming in the 90s, though every playthrough of the SNES version leaves me wishing I could play my PC copy or even the Genesis port, as that's truly the version I remember fondly.
  11. Mirror's Edge (PC via Steam) [April 4th] - The first game I played on the desktop computer I built for myself this year, which should tell you (1) how old my previous computer was and (2) what I consider to be a modern video game. It's a'ight, but I don't think it has much staying power outside its visuals. Even there, I found myself preferring the aesthetic of the animated cutscenes to the photorealistic gameplay, as reminiscent of early flash as the former was. I think I might enjoy Catalyst, though; I'm sure I'll give that a try in a couple years.
  12. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon [April 5th] - A different beast compared to the original Luigi's Mansion, so don't expect a family of oddly human ghosts with oddly plausible backstories. Like its predecessor it's still a score-attack game, but it goes for more of a mission-based track rather than just being a short game. It's fine, though I wish there was more variation in the bosses. Polterpup is far cuter than it has any reason being.
  13. Persona 4: Dancing All Night [April 27th] - Fun, plain and simple. I think Dryest said in the past that it's got the same pacing issues that Persona 4 Arena has with its story. I can't deny that, but I also think it's as efficient as it can be given the format, and I was pleasantly surprised by how efficient the Investigation Team's gotten after four or five of these adventures. It was nice seeing my friends from Persona 4 again, but I think it's time to go our separate ways and let them grow up, and I feel Dancing All Night itself agrees with me. We'll always have replays, though. And Persona Q, when I eventually get around to finishing that.
  14. Shadow the Hedgehog (GCN) [May 10th] - I played it for Mercs research, but this was a backlog entry that was long overdue to be taken care of. I bought this sincerely around the time it was still new, expecting something rough-but-fun. It's... a'ight, but I think I'm forever doomed to be a fan of Sonic even at its worst, so take my vague enjoyment of it with a grain of salt. A lot of the alternative level missions are pretty obnoxious to get through, and I think the story's attempts at creating a series of levels with logical branching paths just result in making Shadow look schizophrenic. And don't even get me started on all the possible playthroughs.
  15. Super Mario 64 (replay) (Wii U via Nintendo eShop) [May 28th] - It's Super Mario 64. Pretty much everything that can be said about it has been said. I probably owe Super Mario Galaxy a revisit to see if I prefer it as a 3D Mario Platformer, but Super Mario 64's gonna be hard to beat.
  16. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (via PSN) [June 7th] - It is easy to let your obsessions derail your attempts at life, but rather than deny your obsessions, it is better to try and channel them into something productive that can help you grow. I'd like to think that hearing this around the time I was fired has been one of the many things that's helped me grow this year, even if that's only resulted in me redoubling my efforts on Mercs and trying to run it like an actual game design project. Mechanically, I think I still prefer Uncharted 2, but the timing of the game, as well as sharing it with my parents, makes it a very difficult choice between the two.
  17. Grim Fandango Remastered (PC via Steam) [June 18th] - Gooms and I talked about it here. One of gaming's true analogues to Film Noir, both aesthetically and thematically. It's a funny game, certainly, but it's the dramatic bits that stick with you better, I think.
  18. Angry Birds (iOS) [June 19th] - I've tried branching out a bit this year with mobile games. Angry Birds probably isn't my favorite (I'd probably give that to one of the many puzzle games I played, actually - either Dots or Cascade), but it's easy to see why it's as popular as it is. Simple, easy time-killer that's good for something to zone out to or if you're waiting for something (I spent a lot of time this summer in front of the grill and/or listening to a podcast or audiobook), but not much depth beyond it.
  19. Scribblenauts Unlimited (PC via Steam) [July 3rd] - Discovering that "sneaky penguin" was a viable solution to the "steal a gem from a museum" puzzle was probably the highlight of my playthrough. Lots of fun little creative moments, though I get the feeling that after a certain point, if you've played one Scribblenauts (and I have - I played Super Scribblenauts a few years back), you've played 'em all.
  20. Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode 1 - Gold Edition (PC via Steam) [July 4th] - They tried/10.
  21. Yar's Revenge (PC via Steam) [July 4th] - Because the first thing I think of when it comes to Atari 2600 titles about an alien fly defending its home world is a colorful Miyazaki-influenced rail shooter. It's not bad as a budget title, though don't expect more than an hour or two's worth of time outta this.
  22. TellTale Texas Hold'Em (via Steam) [July 5th] - Gooms and I talked about it here. It was a solid enough experiment for its time, but probably not worth revisiting in a world where Poker Night exists.
  23. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (Turnabout Reclaimed) [July 7th] - Just rounding out my Dual Destinies playthrough half a year late. Like the rest of Dual Destinies, the DLC case is solid Ace Attorney writing, though I probably would've gotten more out of it had I played it in the middle of Dual Destinies rather than after the fact. When I eventually get around to playing Spirit of Justice, I'll have to take the DLC case(s?!) where they fall in the game's story.
  24. Ryse: Son of Rome (PC via Steam) [July 13th] - I have fond memories of watching a kid in my college group play this entirely for an incident involving the Xbox One version's shoddy voice command support. It's ultimately a pretty monotonous, forgettable title otherwise, which is disappointing since Ancient Rome is a relatively untapped era for AAA game titles. It also says a lot about the Xbox One that its launch title should find its way to Steam so quickly. Too bad.
  25. American McGee's Grimm (Episode 1-2) (via Steam) [July 13th, 14th] - Gooms and I started talking about it here. Various circumstances conspired that distracted us from our episodic games, which is a bummer 'cause I was having fun with the write-ups and especially with the ones for this game. My impression so far is that it's a good title if you enjoy literary analysis, but there isn't much beyond that.
  26. Jack Bros. (via Emulation) [July 27th] - I wish this wasn't doomed to eternal obscurity in the Virtual Boy's library, I could see this doing well as a mobile puzzle game these days. Mercs players will also know it as the primary influence behind this, a serious contender for one of my favorite Mercs models I created.
  27. Moirai [July 29th] - A fun little experiment that's worth the 6 minutes it takes to play, though I dunno if there's anything meaningful beyond the experiment.
  28. Splatoon [August 14th] - I personally didn't get a lot out of it, but it's a fine enough game. I'm glad that Nintendo finally took a serious stab at a squad-based arena shooter, and the platforming is a strong enough argument for the Wii U Gamepad's motion controls. But I think I like it best for being such a strong element of gaming pop culture and for the Splatfests in particular, and I wish they'd lasted longer than they had. Ah, well, it looks like Nintendo has something planned for the series on the Switch, so maybe we'll see a comeback for it yet.
  29. Murdered: Soul Suspect (PC via Steam) [August 20th] - I guess I have a thing for buggy, obscure games that aren't American but ostensibly are about American ghosts. I like the setup and setting (a ghost detective in Salem who enlists the help of a spirit medium to solve his own murder), but it's hard to recommend because it doesn't really do anything compelling mechanically, and the stealth segments tend to be more annoying than anything.
  30. Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit (PC via Steam) [August 28th] - Hot Topic as a video game. Like, the perfect 1:1 translation of Hot Topic as a video game. Which is why it surprised me to discover that this is a French video game - it feels so American in its design. I don't think it succeeds at being as edgy as it wants to be, but it's kind of fun in a misanthropic sorta way, and the gunplay's solid enough for a pseudo-Metroidvania. Plus, it has its moments.
  31. Freedom Planet (Wii U) (Story Mode, Lilac) [August 30th] - A fun enough game in the classic Sonic mold with a more action-focused bend. I could see myself enjoying the snot outta this ten years ago, though these days I just find it enjoyable. It's got a couple good set pieces, though, particularly the Sky Battalion level about halfway through. I thought the story and cutscenes were fine, but again, I'm forever doomed to like everything even remotely Sonic-related. Still, things like using the "ducking" sprite to represent bowing/kneeling/genuflection (which is done in a couple of the cutscenes) feels like the sorta thing that makes sense in a machinima, but not in a full game.
  32. Lost girl's [diary] [September 1st] - A solid enough Visual Novel worth the hour or so it takes to go through, though I'd recommend other visual novels if you want something with staying power (*cough*). It has achievements, but I don't think they're really appropriate in something so short, especially since the one not related to hitting particular story beats is based on mouse clicks when you can proceed by pressing the space bar.
  33. Gex: Enter the Gecko (PS1) [September 7th] - I'd tried playing this years ago but quit pretty quickly after I decided it was aggressively obnoxious, as I had with Alex Kidd years before. Revisiting it for my annual late-summer 3D Platformer (I have some weird annual traditions) didn't exactly dissuade me otherwise, though the more I learn about the series, the more it sounds like it was just a bad translation of a 2D game to 3D.
  34. Final Fantasy VII [September 24th] - Thank you for buying me that Final Fantasy VII soundtrack at GenCon, @Alf, you got me to finally get around to revisiting and finishing FF7! FF7 is one of those games where so much of it is transmitted through pop cultural osmosis that you could probably get by without experiencing it for yourself, but I think it's worth going through on your own because the very best bits (Cloud secretly being a tryhard, Aeris being nowhere near as much of a waif as you'd be lead to believe, a lot of the strong emotional beats, and everything surrounding the well-known spoiler) are not often brought up and have been lost in the shuffle. Particularly by Square itself.
  35. Resident Evil HD (PS4 via PSN) (Jill, Best Ending) [October 4th] - One of many games I experienced through Craig J. Roommate that I had less-than-ideal feelings for thanks to Craig J. Roommate, with other notable titles being Digimon World, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Kirby: Return to Dream Land, Catherine, and Final Fantasy XIII... not that the last one doesn't deserve it. But I finally got around to playing through Resident Evil HD on my own, and I found that, hey, it's is a pretty solid game. As I've grown up, I've come to terms with how games limit the player's strength, which was a major sticking point for me the first time around - nowadays I realize that it's done for effect and have come to appreciate the challenge rather than balk at the denial of power. Item management and balancing takes a lot of careful planning and resource management, but it's actually quite fun if you're up for that sort of thing, and it does a good job of ramping up and scaling its difficulty as you work through the game. Definitely looking forward to my next Resident Evil, though I have yet to decide if that's 0 (HD), 2 (N64), or 4 (GCN).
  36. Super Mario Bros. 2 (SNES via Super Mario All-Stars) [October 7th] - A looooong overdue title to check off the backlog. I'd actually gotten to World 7-2 in Super Mario Advance years ago, but couldn't beat Wart, so this was largely just a formality. For my money, Toad and Peach are the most fun to play, though Peach is easy mode for most of the game.
  37. Street Fighter V (PS4 via PSN) (All starting Character Stories, General Story complete) [October 13th] - My only proper experience with Street Fighter, outside Street Fighter II and playing a couple rounds of Street Fighter IV at the arcade with Dryest. It definitely helps to be familiar with previous games, but I think there's enough to go by on its own, and it's an easy enough game to get the hang of (though I still struggle with quarter circles). The story is enjoyably silly, with lots of good character moments throughout. Necalli feels pretty pointless and kind of a copout way of resolving the "Evil Ryu" story arc from throughout the series. I'd love to try the DLC, but I have no interest in grinding for Fight Money, so I guess I'll just be content with the main story.
  38. Tomb Raider (2013) (PC via Steam) (100%) [October 19th] - Finally got around to playing this for myself! My thoughts from here (Game #44) and here (Character #40) still hold true. I mostly played this as a formality, but also in anticipation of Rise of the Tomb Raider, which I... still need to pick up for PS4. Sometime next year.
  39. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (196.2%) [October 26th] - Yet another title that I started years ago but never finished until now. Also yet another title where there isn't a whole lot new for me to say, but I can definitely affirm that it's excellent and absolutely worth going through. I'm also thankful I had just enough completion to get the best ending rather than the good ending - I wasn't keen on trying to scour two castles for the Sword Familiar. The soundtrack as a whole is excellent, but I think my favorite track is Lost Painting - a pleasant surprise to me since I can't think of anyone else talking about it.
  40. Super Mario Bros. 3 (SNES via Super Mario All-Stars) [October 28th] - I talked about it here. Nothing for me to add that hasn't been said already.
  41. A Bug's Life (replay) (PS3 via PSN) (Unlocked all video clips) [November 15th] - A game from my childhood that I'd been meaning to revisit for an awfully long time. I dunno if most folks would get a lot out of it (certainly not unless you thought the base movie was anything but disposable), but as a licensed game, I think it does a couple interesting things with its weapon/pick-up upgrade system and with one or two of its bosses (the one where the ants are "helpfully" throwing items that power down your weapon being a pretty funny mechanical joke). The recycled voice clips kinda grate after a while, though.
  42. BioShock (PS3 via PSN) (Good Ending) [November 30th] - Yes! I finally got around to playing this! And... I pretty much knew everything I was gonna get. Oh, it's nice to be able to say I've actually played it, and if nothing else, it's nice to play a BioShock game that isn't a meta commentary on itself. But I think a lot of the mechanics for the Plasmids and moral choice and such that were groundbreaking for its time have been done much better since. Still, I can respect BioShock for popularizing the idea of an atmospheric, story-driven shooter.
  43. MediEvil (100%) [December 7th] - One of the few things I think PlayStation All-Stars Fight thing did well was remind the world this series existed. I ended up having an awful lot of fun with this; it's a hack-and-slash platformer, but with the Mega Man X Sub-Tank system and the experimental level design (and world-building) of Rayman 2. I didn't realize until I'd finished it that it was actually a British game, but that makes perfect sense in retrospect and explains a lot of the influence drawn from European cinema. My only significant complaint is that it really could've used DualShock support, as having to double-tap the directional pad to run led to a lot of clumsy, avoidable deaths.
  44. Puzzle Agent (PC via Steam) [December 13th] - Professor Layton by way of Fargo, only I haven't gone through either so I couldn't say how well it does them. But taken in a vacuum, it's an enjoyable enough puzzler with an all-too abrupt ending, which I can't tell if that's a deliberate stylistic choice or just a sequel hook.
  45. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (replay) (via Emulation) [December 17th] - Revisiting this reminded me just how much it's influenced my sense of humor growing up; I don't think I would have gotten nearly as much out of it had I approached it new as an adult. I see now that, unlike the Paper Mario games, Superstar Saga is a little too simplified, and there are stretches of the game that feel overly monotonous, particularly since the game's absurdly easy to break once you know what you're doing. Still, I like a lot of the game's humor (particularly its physical comedy; holy crap are the Mario Bros. expressive in this game) as well as its theming and world building. The Beanbean Kingdom is a fun counterpart to the Mushroom Kingdom, and the laughter onomatopoeia naming scheme is cute (if a bit on-the-nose for a comedy game). But most of all, I think I like the actual gambit pileup between both sides throughout the course of the main story - shows that rare, proactive side of Princess Peach we don't get to see nearly often enough.
45 games in all (44 if I don't count American McGee's Grimm, since I only did a couple episodes of that). I think that's down from last year, but I still consider this a good year, especially since a lot of these titles were ones that'd been on my backlog for a long friggin' time. Not too many games that came out this year, though - just Uncharted 4 and Street Fighter V. That might be something to focus on next year, especially with Persona 5 comin' out.

But since I've got time to kill before Persona 5 comes out, here are a few games I'm planning on playing next year:
  • Parasite Eve - I read a Let's Play of this and loved it to death, so when I discovered that a friend of mine had a copy he'd be willing to lend me, I jumped at the chance to play it myself. I'm still working through it bit by bit, but so far I've been able to confirm that, yes, it IS a really good game.
  • Pokemon Moon - I've been working through this extremely slowly (just finished the second Grand Trial), which is why I haven't stuck my head into the Pokemon topic to comment. But, uh, I really really really like this. It's addressed the vast bulk of my concerns with Pokemon games, especially X/Y. I'll want to talk about it at length when I finally finish it, but for now, Imma take my sweet time filling my Pokedex as much as I can.
  • Final Fantasy VI - Final Fantasy VII has proven to be a game I like quite a lot after letting myself sit on it and think about it. Final Fantasy VI was a game I adored while playing it, and I believe that if I finally get around to finishing it, I'll have even stronger feelings for it than I do for FF7.
  • Puzzle Agent 2 - Might as well.
  • Dishonored - Dylan gifted me a copy of this, of course I'm gonna play it! I'll need somethin' to warm up my PS4 before I get Persona 5, anyway.
  • 100% Orange Juice - Gotta unlock all the characters so I can play competitively with Gooms!
  • All of Orange_Juice's games - Gotta play through these too so I can appreciate how well-designed 100% Orange Juice's character balance is! Just give me time to figure out how not to suck at scrolling shooters.
Thanks for everything this year, guys! Here's lookin' forward to the next one!
PT-Piranha liked this
 #329660  by Golden Silver  Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:41 am
Golden Silver's Games of 2016 Retrospective
Undertale | Show

The first game I completed this year. Overall, it was a great experience. It was definitely a good game, but it had its flaws; I'd like to see what other developers (or Toby Fox himself, most likely) could do with the battle mechanics, because they definitely have a lot of potential in a much larger game. The music was amazing, and the story was great.

Overall, I'd give it an A.
Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit | Show

I can't complain much because I got it for free, but it was ok overall. Amazingly unique and zany premise, but the combat mechanics are flawed (once you get the shotgun, you pretty much don't have much of a reason to use any other weapon), and the controls are downright awful at times, but the experience is balanced out by great humor and a fair among of content available aside from the main story. I summed it up previously by saying, "what it does well, it does amazingly, but what it does poorly, it does terribly." Overall, probably a B-.
Shovel Knight + Plague of Shadows | Show

A fantastic example of a Kickstarter game gone right, and a retro-inspired game that both draws on its roots and does its own thing. Plague of Shadows is very fun and gives a unique spin on a game you've already played through. Though there are a few minor rough patches here and there, overall I'd give it an A+ because it's a great game with plenty of content still to come. What's not to love.
Axiom Verge | Show

If ever there was love at first sight for a video game, Axiom Verge was just that to me. From the first release pictures, I knew that I wanted to play this game. Maybe it's the thirst for a new Metroid game after so many years. Maybe it's the vibrant art style and awesome music. Maybe it's the twisted web of lies and deception that is the game's plot; the environments and characters that evoke an unparalleled sense of wonder. This is, in my opinion, the best Metroid game that isn't actually a Metroid game (not quite Super Metroid, but no doubt a strong contender for top 3); and it makes this clear: while the game isn't afraid to show that it's inspired by Metroid, by the end of the game, it's made sure to tell you that it's its own thing, with its colorful--and "glitch"-ridden--alien world, plethora of weapons and unique powerups, and a brand of isolation that makes you feel very alone by making you question enemies and allies alike... bleh, it's all too much to think about.

But wait, there's more. If you want to try and speedrun it, to unravel every one of the game's secrets and spend time finding the most efficient ways around the game's map, something the game's very design encourages, you just can't help but feel drawn into the game anew. The unhelpful in-game map is a bit frustrating, but by and far this game deserves an A+.
Shantae: Risky's Revenge | Show

Pretty good game, though it has its flaws, especially when compared to its sequel. B overall.
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse | Show

Clearly more refined than the previous game in the franchise, and though I haven't played Half-Genie Hero yet, it has me excited for what's next. Better humor, crisper art, better enemies, awesome powerups (by the end of the game you start to feel super overpowered), etc. I'd give it an A.
LIMBO | Show

What else is there really to say about Limbo? I don't hate the game--it's a decent experience--yet some of the puzzles are super-dumb. Like really. Other than that, it's pretty good, maybe a C+ if I'm being generous. But, hey, it was free! Also, didn't find all the secrets and stuff, but I don't think it's very worth the time to go back and sift through the game to unlock all the achievements, even with a guide.
Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion | Show

One of the best free games I've played, and a pretty great horror game to boot. It's a master at defying expectations and really messing with your mind, and then instilling SHEER TERROR into your very being. I recommend playing it all in one go for maximum jumpiness (or in as few play sessions as possible--not playing it once, then stopping and coming back months later, or similarly); though the game starts to get a little boring past Room 800-or-so, it still tries its best to stay unique, even if the new specimens it introduces are somewhat lackluster in comparison to the earlier ones.

SUPER SPOILERS
In a nutshell, the game meticulously conditions you to get jittery and jumpy whenever cutesy cardboard cutouts pop out and make noises, and then makes you legit afraid of a series of (usually) increasingly-dangerous demonic monsters chasing you that actually pose a threat to you. By the end, you'll probably be completely numb to any other jumpscares.
END SUPER SPOILERS

Overall, probably an A.
Armikrog | Show

Although short, Armikrog has a super-extensive backstory (worth the length, IMO, though I'd also have liked main story length to match), decent gameplay and puzzles, and an appealing art style. Also helpful is the auto-pointer feature which guides you to areas of interest--something that especially helps when playing on console, which... isn't really an experience I'd recommend. Nonetheless, I'd probably give the game a C+.
Transformers: Devastation | Show

A really fun game overall. It picks up after the first mission or so, when you get access to the Ark. While there are a few things I'd probably like to change about it (emphasize more shooting aspects in addition to the melee fighting; get rid of or reduce the arbitrary gameplay changes during certain missions; getting better weapons as you progress), it's fairly fine as it is. Not as good as the PS2 Transformers game, but still a likable addition to the representation of Transformers in video games. Also, you're going to spend a lot of time on weapon synthesis. B.
Jazzpunk: Director's Cut | Show

Woo boy. This game is quite a ride. It's a good game, but certainly not for everyone; in order to get the best experience, you have to do a lot of exploration, but even then, you're probably not going to get everything on your own the first time through. The game relies a lot on getting all the humor from this "full experience," but even then, it's certainly on the eccentric side in a way that might not be appealing to everybody. The achievements are all pretty easy, so there's that too. Probably a B+ overall.

also wedding cake is the best
Last edited by Golden Silver on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
PT-Piranha liked this
 #329679  by Maxjes  Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:34 pm
Well, with 45 minutes left in 2016 (when I started writing this), I doubt I'm going to finish my current ongoings (Phantom Pain, Hitman GO) so here's a summation. I like LB's short format so I'm going to steal it wholesale.

1. [02/23/2016] Killzone Shadow Fall: I wouldn't say I was disapointed by KZSF, Killzone has always been one of Sony's weaker first party titles, kept aloft by a need for a tent pole FPS and a Halo competitor, something it's never really been. KZ3 was the closest the series has been to those lofty aspirations, with it's slogy controls and trench campaign balanced by a solid number of fun one off missions and a gorgeous art style. KZSF tries to move the series from large scale conflict to covert operations and it just doesn't work. The Stealth mechanics are ehhhhhh, the weighty guns and a long time to kill just don't translate into open areas with multiple apraoch routes. The storyline continues to do the two-step Killzone has been doing for it's entire run (The friendly ISA are bureaucratically evil, the facist ISA are technically the wronged party but they're fucking space Nazis) and they never get the nuance or the balance needed to pull the themes. 2/5 Thank God Guerrilla is moving on to Horizon.

2. [03/16/2016] Tom Clancy's The Division: Here's a good example of reviewing the game you have not the game you want. What I wanted was a realistic RPG based on reclaiming NYC from an apocolypse with co-op and multiplayer aspects. What I got was very akin to a Third Person Shooter MMO, a 30 hour campaign that is incredibly enjoyable, followed by an endgame that resembles a Diablo or Torchlight Gear Grind more than anything else, which itself is enjoyable for other reasons. I have nitpicks sure, the major players and the city are mostly left unchanged throughout, and the endgame content was incredibly sparse until the Underground expansion. Incredibly high 4/5, I doubt there's a game I played more this year, and whenever new content drops, I always go back to the frozen streets of the Dark Zone.

3. [03/31/2016] Final Fantasy XV: Platinum Demo: Thus begins a trend of this year, lots of low content 'games' to pad out my completion percentage. Ah well, the Platinum Demo did more to worry me than excite me for FFXV. While it's still a game I picked up and will endeavor to finish in the new year, the Platinum demo was rough. Like really rough, Like oh god the frame-rate, and oh god the reversed KH controls. No Score, will plow through XV in the new year regardless

4. [04/08/2016] Wolfenstein: The New Order: Easily the best game I played this year, from several aspects. Firstly, the gameplay managed to be a frankenstine blend of old-school dual wielding mayhem, combined with an actually functional stealth system and a few FPS refinements like iron sights and a great collectables system. Even the underwater level didn't handle like ass, that's a miracle. But even though the game is 90% "stabin', shootin', stranglin' Nazis' it manages to be poignant(???) in a way I was not expecting. A lot of alt history WWII assumes we're all on the same Nazis = Bad page and doesn't bother to go into why they're bad. Wolf manages to make a bleak dystopian hellscape filled with resistance fighters you give a shit about, and manages to do so while never letting off the throttle of gameplay. 5/5, Bethesda announce The New Colossus already.

5. [04/16/2016] Destiny: Vanilla Destiny is not great. It's not bad, but it's not something you would expect to see from the studio behind Marathon and Halo. The game feels like a mishmash of genres that don't quite fit, paired with a story that is obviously paired down. Elements of MMO overworlds and loot tables are crammed together with first person shooting galries, third person vehicles, a strangely large character advancement tree and the occasional cutscene. In trying to be everything, a lot of the vestigial systems exist for a mission or two and are promptly ignored for the rest of the game. Hell, every single lore object and bit of info can't even be read in-game, you have to open a mobile app just to see relevent lore and backstory, which is often operating five intellectual levels above the 'shoot the aliens Guardian" storyline. It's a damn good thing that the core of the gameplay loop, i.e. shooting various aliens, is mostly intact from the Halo days. Headshots pop, grenades have a great arc, and guns strike a good balance between weighty and controllable, especially the scout riffles. 3/5, the series got much better with...

6. [04/27/2016] Destiny: The Taken King: TTK builds off a lot of cut content for Destiny as well as the Year 1 Expansions. Your character speaks again! They finally use Nathan Fillion's character! There's an actual complete story arc with a beginning and middle and end and a sense of weight. I know this sounds like damning with faint praise (congrats on getting basic narrative structure right nerds) but it's not like most FPSes are working at an eight grade reading level to begin with. King's Fall is a great raid to end a solid expansion, 4/5.

7. [06/19/2016] Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour: I finished this demo back when it first dropped, so I guess we live in a brave new world where I finished the title and several updates made it not so. I'll be back with more complete thoughts but I thought what was presented was solid enough. Amazing atmosphere and excellent camera and trigger work make this a bit more than a PT clone, but the necessity to replay multiple times to get the endings and the complete lack of a failure state reduces the tension and horror. 3/5, welcome to the family son.

8. [07/21/2016] Borderlands 2: 'Lands 2 is basically what a sequel should be. Take the wild land of Pandora, make it more vibrant, diversify the classes and cast, and then make your characters from BL1 the NPCs so you automatically give a shit about them. Yes the humor is hit and miss at times, but when it hits it delivers. Only minor quibble is that the drop table is a bit thinner than BL1, and that I once again got the Pele's Sacrifice gun midway through and it broke my progression. 4/5

9. [07/25/2016] Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep: So uh, best D&D parody about grief management? If the GOTYE edition of BL2 wasn't dirt cheap as is, this would be the one DLC to recommend. It's lengthy, challenging, funny, has a myriad of side quests, and I'm always a sucker for RPG in jokes. 5/5 Hail Buttstallion.

10. [07/26/2016] Borderlands 2: Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt: A rather Disposable DLC and probably the weakest of all the major DLC. I would probably rate all the random Holiday DLC higher than this, as I'm struggling to remember much of anything from it. 2/5

11. [08/03/2016] Borderlands 2: Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage: A fun, if disposable campaign. The major problem with Torgue's major DLC is that his Minor DLC (the Thanksgiving Massacre) is shorter, better paced, and generally funnier than another Thunderdrome set up. Thankfully the humor carries the campaign to a light 3/5

12. [08/04/2016] Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty: My crew of four was pretty much running out of shit to do by the time we played Scarlett, and it's got a real bad case of 'first DLC pack' that while it's a lenghty campaign worth the admittance price, none of it is particular memorable other than the running joke that Scarlett is going to betray you, her creepy stalker, and a great couple of final boss fights. Let's call it a high 2/5

13-17. [08/10/2016] Batman Arkham Knight - Character DLC: Arkham Knight's Season pass included a short 2-3 level campaign for every character that's been playable throughout the series. Let's run through this real quick.
Red Hood: Adding guns awkwardly to your combat system doesn't work 2/5
Nightwing: Nothing Special, but a fun romp with good dialog and a solid second level 3/5
Red Robin: Has the most interesting combat rooms, but the least interesting plot 3/5
Catwoman: Plays the most differently, has a hellish slog of a final fight 2/5
Harley Quinn: The most interesting part of this DLC is the crazy words she see's in Detective Mode 2/5
So yeah, it's basically a bunch of challenge levels with plot grafted on, worth if you're a big Arkham Fan, who cares otherwise.

18. [08/12/2016] Batman Arkham Knight - A Matter of Family: Holy shit an actual campaign. As well designed as this campaign is, with the ambiance of a true joker's funland. It kind of lacks a heart. The campaign paints by the numbers with each engagements, and never really advances beyond Asylum's pacing and structure. There's a mechanic where Babs can hack more of the environment than Batman does, but it's more a fun little tool than a true mechanic. Add in an ending that kind of just ends without fanfare and you basically have this DLC. 3/5 They sold this with heavy Killing joke overtures and don't even reference it?

19. [08/18/2016] OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood: I am contractually obligated to play every skating game released, and thankfully OlliOlli 2 is a good game. It's a weird amalgam of a Platformer with modified Skate (the series) controls and an insistance on flow and combos. It definitely fits that niche of skating games that I like where the controls are a bitch to learn but once you master them the reward is exponentially better. My main complaint is this game's difficulty curve was clearly designed for fucking platforming savants as finishing a level unlocks a hard level with 5 more challenges, and finishing every one of those gets you an insane difficulty version. I have video footage of me tricking every rail, flipping every air, and nailing every landing perfectly to get me less than half of the way to the high score. High 3/5 because the OST bumps.

20. [10/16/2016] Resident Evil 4: Resident Evil 5 was better. 5/5

21. [12/30/2016] Destiny: Rise of Iron: RoI is not as good at taken king, but not for lack of effort. There's a myriad of activities and things to do, a solid campaign with a solid raid at the end, and a fun Kill-confirmed style MP mode... but the story and environments feel sparse. A bit of frozen over Russian tundra doesn't really compare with a dreadnought orbiting Saturn, and a digital nano-plague doesn't really compare to eldritch horrors from beyond time and space. it definitely feels like stop-gap content until Destiny 2, and ergo gets a fitting 3/5.

I played a lot of mediocre to good games this year, but the few gems made it worth it. Time to actually beat games instead of DLC this year lol.
Light Bear liked this
 #329687  by Goombachi  Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Probably less than previous years. Still way more than is reasonably healthy.
Finished | Show
Finished
Super Meat Boy (106% and all A+; every level except XOXO)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (1st place on all expert cups, reached the end of World Tour, 208 stars, 83%)
Suits: A Business RPG
Cave Story + (Curly Story/True Ending)
Skullgirls Encore (All characters)
MOTHER 3 (emulated)
Mortal Kombat II (kinda, I fully admit I cheesed the system)
Star Fox (Level 3)
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
NotGTAV
Professor Layton & The Diabolical Box
Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3
Trace Memory
Rock Paper Scissors Champion
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
The Walking Dead: Season 2
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (All levels, all trophies)
Shovel Knight (100% items and all challenges)
  • Plague of Shadows (will do challenges and round up the last few coins later)
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (100%)
Stray Cat Crossing
Chex Quest 1-3 (Extreme Ooze)
Gradius III (Easy)
The Legend of Zelda and the Lampshade of No Real Significance
planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~
Cibele
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Pretty sure I've done all the routes)
Grim Fandango: Remastered
Rayman Origins (100%)
Castle of Illusion Starring: Mickey Mouse (Remake) (100%)
Evoland (All chests)
Telltale Texas Hold 'Em (Well, I beat them, anyway)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (All stamps)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (100%)
Mario Kart 8 (3 Stars, All Cups, All CCs)
Moirai
Shantae: Risky's Revenge -- Director's Cut (100%)
You Have 10 Seconds
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (100%)
Clubhouse Games (Stamp Mode)
Layton Brothers: Mystery Room
Pikmin 3 (All Fruit)
  • also Platinum on all non-DLC Challenge Mode missions
Color Symphony (Replay)
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (90.7%)
megaman sprite game
NES Remix (All Stamps, All Rainbow)
Wario Ware: D.I.Y. (I unlocked all of the Diamond Software games and did all of the Assembly Dojo, at least)
Wario Ware: Snapped! (Completed the five Microgames in each of the coasters, and the credits)
Undertale (Pacifist, replay, with my mother)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (100%)
Planescape: Torment (Chaotic Good Fighter)
Adventure (2600; small and large kingdoms)
Dragon Warrior (Level 19)
Don't Shit Your Pants (Crown)
Luigi Insanity
PacMan.exe
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc (+ all mini-games, besides Racket Jump [because I hate it] and Commando [because I didn't unlock it])
Escape the Game Intro
Yoshi's Woolly World (100% on all levels, and all of Boss Tent complete)
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (100%)
Typing of the Dead: Overkill (Agent; and all mini-games)
Gex (100% Ending)
Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures
Street Fighter x Mega Man
The Static Speaks My Name
Batman: The Video Game
Box Logic (10-In-1 Arcade Collection)
Wrecking Crew (All levels)
QP Shooting: Dangerous!! (Easy/Conquest)
Acceleration of Suguri X-Edition (All of the campaigns, on Easy)
QP Shooting (Easy, I think)
Golden Axe (5 Health)
Xmas Shooting: Scramble!! (Easy/Conquest)
Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (Replay)

Let's Plays
Probably random Game Grumps/Game Center CX I don't want to keep track of
Car Escape 1-5 (Finished)
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen (Finished)
Chulip (Finished)
Gregory Horror Show: Soul Collector (Finished)
Trespasser (Finished)
Princess Maker 2 (Finished)
Quest 64 (Finished)
Pewdiepie: Legend of Brofist (Finished)
Jill of the Jungle (Finished)
Super Adventure Island (Finished)
The Goonies II (Finished)
Whomp 'Em (Finished)
Castle of Illusion Starring: Mickey Mouse (Original) (Finished)
SGDQ (All Finished, of course)
  • Super Mario Sunshine
    Crystal's Pony Tale
    Mega Man 8
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Wario World
    Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
    Donkey Kong Country 3
    Super Mario World x 3
    Super Mario Land
    Celeste
    Bubble Bobble Co-Op
    Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
Spyro the Dragon (Finished)
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! (Finished)
Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Finished)
Crash Bandicoot (Finished)
Crash Bandicoot's Prototype (Finished)
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (Finished)
Crash Bandicoot: Warped (Finished)
CTR: Crash Team Racing (Finished)
Animal Soccer World (Finished)
Pac-Man World (Finished)
NieR (Finished)
Katamari Forever (FInished...ish)
Rugrats in Paris: The Movie (Finished)
Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (Finished)
The Legend of Zelda: Wand of Gamelon (Finished)
We <3 Katamari (Finished...ish)
Celesdora (Finished)
Portal (Speedrun; Finished)
Final Fantasy (3 Gimmick Runs; Finished)
Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong-Nou (Finished)
The World's Hardest Game (Speedrun; Finished)
Mario's Time Machine (Finished)
Tail of the Sun (Finished)
Move or Die (Finished; the one Retsupurae did, not the game you'll see on Google)
Mega Man X (Finished)
Spooky's House of Jumpscares Jumpscare Mansion (Finished; I played the first 600 floors and got kinda bored)
American Mcgee's Alice (Finished)
D (Finished)
Monster in My Pocket (Finished)
Mega Man X4 (Finished)
Antarctic Adventure (Finished)
Devil's Third (Finished)