Last Life Super Mario Maker 2 Level Contest

• Hi all, and welcome to the first Last Life community event (hopefully the first of many)!

What is this?

Exactly what it says on the tin! Put your creative powers to work, and make a level in Super Mario Maker 2. Submit the code here after uploading your level, and the community will vote for the winners! The exact details of the voting will depend on the number of entrants, but we'll likely be using a ranked top-choice system!

In this system, each voter chooses their 3 favourite levels from the list of submissions, in order of preference. Their 1st pick would receive three points, 2nd pick receives 2 points, and 3rd pick receives 1 point. Again, depending on the number of submissions, we might limit this ranked range to as few as 1 or expand it to a Top 5.

Duration:

May 30th - June 15th (11:59 PM EDT) - Level Submissions (A Google Form will be posted for submissions)
    June 16th - Levels List posted
    June 16th - June 20th (8:00 PM EDT) - Judging (Voting will also be done via Google Forms)
    June 20th - Winners announced

Theme:

All level submissions should endeavour to fit the following theme:

"Over and Under"!

Feel free to take this prompt in any direction that your creativity dictates (though preferably something a little more adventurous than "Overworld and underworld"). As for difficulty, it's always a delicate balance. Remember that you're aiming for wide appeal, but also that this is still primarily a gaming community.

Prizes

Oh yes, we've got prizes for the top levels!

1st Prize: $100

2nd Prize: $50

3rd Prize: $25

Lucky Prize (Random drawing of 1 level that didn't win 1st, 2nd or 3rd place): $25

Prize values are USD and will be awarded in the form of a Steam gift card, or gifted software purchase(s) from the online game store of the winner's choice.

Caveats

• Levels must be created and uploaded after the contest start date. We have no way to verify that you haven't been working on a level already, but please be honourable and let everyone work from an even playing field.
    • Entrants must have a Last Life Forum account and reply to this topic to confirm their entry. One of the goals of this contest is to increase community activity and engagement, so please, stop by for a while, play some levels, say hi to folks! This rule also aims to prevent flyby entrants lured in by those oh-so-shiny prizes above.

Feel free to post here or contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. Good luck, and have fun, all!

Update, May 30th: Level Submissions Open!

Submit your level here!

• Level submissions are now open! Levels will be accepted until 11:59 PM EDT on June 13th Update: June 15th!

Please post a reply to this topic to confirm your entry!

• I've submitted my level!

• I submitted mine as well!

• Just submitted!

• Alright! Level submissions are now closed.

Turnout was... a bit less than expected, unfortunately. We've got a grand total of 4 entrants, and one entrant is unfortunately disqualified for not honouring the first caveat, the level having been uploaded in September of last year. Some of this may be owed to lackluster advertising on my part, but, hey, it is what it is!

Here are our entrants:

Banzai Panic, by League - 74Y-MNF-SFG
    Rescue Chancellor Palpaspring!!! by Vegarbo - FYN-F4T-2LG
    Over and Under and Over Again by AddThreeAndFive - C69-HYS-92H

Voting will commence tomorrow. Perhaps needless to say, the voting format won't be a ranked top 3 vote. :sweat_smile:

In addition, on Friday, June 19th, I'll be livestreaming a playthrough of each of the entrant levels. The exact time is still to be determined, but I'll be making an announcement here and on the Discord before then! With the help of the livestream, even those who don't own a copy of the game can take a look at the levels and participate in the voting! I look forward to seeing folks there.

Enjoy, and good luck!

• Voting is now open!

Click here for the voting form.

Barring any unforeseen complications, the level stream will take place tomorrow afternoon, sometime between 6:00-8:00 PM EDT. The video will be archived on Twitch if you're unable to make it.

Best of luck to the participants!

• Alright, and that wraps things up! Without further ado, here are our results!

ffb351cd-b06b-4371-94ef-443d0e1e74ec-image.png

With a whopping 71.4% of the vote, the winner of the first Last Life Super Mario Maker 2 Level Contest is @Vegarbo!

We have a tie for runner-up between @AddThreeAndFive and @League, which is just as well, since we have no one eligible to receive the Lucky Prize. With that in mind, both of our second-place winners will receive the $50 prize! Congrats!

The winners can contact me via email or Discord at their leisure to sort out prize logistics. Congrats once again!

And with that, this contest has come to a close. Thanks to all of the participants for submitting their levels for judgment, thanks to everyone who stopped by the level showcase stream, and thanks to everyone who voted.

Seeya 'round, everyone!

• All the entries were great! Awesome job, everyone!