Skoops' Amateur Art Station (Now with 300% more shameless plugging)

• alt text

alt text

Third-to-last of my roster of Dubicus, this is Kupiditas. He's the youngest of the entire body of both valleys' elders, and while he can be rather dense and forgetful, he's extremely passionate and speaks and teaches others directly from the heart. Some dragons get a little impatient with him and think of him as flaky due to his rather short attention span and somewhat oblivious air, but he is a very good teacher and always pushes others to keep putting forth their best efforts in trying to improve and hone their skills.

• alt text

alt text

Here is Lux, one of the final dragons! He's one of the older Dubicus, and is quite a joker. He teases other dragons rather often, but is usually quite calm and tries to keep the air light and filled with good humor. However, he's known for being rather incompetent when operating tools or trying to cast spells that were crafted after his prime years, and thus can be the butt of many a joke. He loves art, music, and storytelling, and likes to paint and tell stories in his free time.

• alt text
    I finally decided to sit down and prepare for a project I've wanted to do for several years now. This the first in a collection of roughly 17 images I'll need to work on, and hopefully get done before October of next year.

I wanted to try and emulate Ken Sugimori's old art style as best I could for this, and while I don't think I quite stuck the landing, I did come substantially closer than I expected to going in. Tried some new brushes, too, and had a lot of fun with this! Hopefully I can share more in the near future.

• alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    Me: I swear I don't draw that much Pokémon stuff, guys.
    Also me: creates 7 fully-rendered Pokémon pictures in a span of 24 hours

Anyways, yes, more of this project. Still got a ways to go, but I had fun with these. Charmander came out not great, but I think I started getting a handle of the style more and more with each picture afterwards -- I really like how Spearow came out, honestly.

For anyone curious to see how all these came to be (Minus Charmander and Charmeleon, since I drew those very late last night/early this morning), I streamed them! The archive can be viewed here.

• alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text

From my stream today! I had fun with these. Only 2 more to go!

• alt text
    alt text

And with that, the most challenging part of my big project is now over! I've created all of the art assets I need for the return of my old Pokémon Red Version playthrough! (Did I forget to mention that here? Oops. For anyone who wants more information on that, check out this video!

These were a lot of fun to make, though they were also really exhausting. I've been asked if I'm going to do more Pokémon in this style, and all I can say right now is...we'll see. It's not in the cards at the moment, but I may be willing to return to this for round 2 sometime in the future.

• alt text

I remember to make Mario fanart sometimes! I started this on August 2 in preparation for Bowser Day, but I was stupid and made things way more time-consuming than they needed to be by coloring the entire thing with a watercolor brush, rather than doing the sane thing of coloring with flats and using the watercolors for shadows and highlights, so I felt obligated to do the entire piece that way. Oops. Anyway, it's done now and I had fun with it. Also I wanted an excuse to reference Super Mario RPG, because I love that game and I feel like nobody talks about it outside of lamenting Geno not getting into Smash or whatever. (Geno wasn't even that great of a character, people. YEAH I SAID IT)

• alt text
    Here's Boaz again! It's been...a while since I drew him, and even longer since I colored him, apparently. (Unless I made a mistake, the last fully-rendered piece I made with him was from November of 2012, so...yikes) Anyways, I've tweaked his design just a little bit again. Most notably, I've changed his necklace to be a little more tribal with some colored beads, though the crystal is still there, even if it's obscured here, and I have finally given him pupils in his eyes. I've tried several times to give him pupils for years, as it's rather hard to make him really expressive or indicate nuances of things like his focus or attention without them, but I also couldn't seem to implement them without it just looking...lame? It was frustrating.

But anyway, I hope to do more with this big grump soon! He may not have changed as dramatically as my other characters over the years, but he's definitely changed more often.

• alt text

The big shark man! I've had this scene in my head for a while now, and tonight I set time aside to try and work on it. Tried fiddling with some weather effects and seeing how well I could convey a background without actually using any lines in the final product. Had a fun time with this one! There's something very gratifying about working on these heavier pieces, though I probably shouldn't make a habit out of it.

I set this shortly after Abigail, Ajax's dear little human friend, was murdered in cold blood by her father. (It's a long story) After reflecting on the events that have led him to this point, he begins to question the purpose of his existence, how much more he can take, if his only remaining goal is worth living for, and if so, what kind of future awaits him if he succeeds.

...I swear I'm not evil.

• alt text

Yes, I draw humans sometimes! Even female humans! Sometimes! Very rarely. I was returning to my FF fan game concepts again, and this time I wanted to try and draft a concept sheet for my interpretation of Shiva. Not final (and probably won't ever be, if I'm being honest), but I figured it was worth sharing.

alt text

And another concept draft, this time for Golem! I wasn't planning on coloring this one, but I was having fun with it. Future me is going to regret putting so much detail into it, but for the time being I'm happy with it.

• alt text

Forgot to post this here; just a simple Vector piece. Also, since when do people other than me like Vector? Last I knew, the only thing people knew him for was the memes and having a bad voice. Granted, that was like 15 years ago, but still.

• Just checking in. Your artwork is really good. Does seem like you are the only person posting in this forum as of late. Hope you are well. Merry Christmas also.

• Thank you, Terry! There's not much activity here, but I feel compelled to keep posting anyway, for the few who do bother to browse from time to time.

alt text

I absolutely did not forget about my PWL roster. I actually started working on this guy, Guy "Andy" Dote, shortly after I finished up my promo poster for Big Guns, but I wasn't feeling the sheet I had going and dropped it for a long time. About a week ago, however, I decided to go back to it, since I didn't want 2022 to end with nothing on this series, and started over from scratch. So here we have King Clobber, a hulking Nidoking who is a huge bully, both in his performance as a heel, and in person! He's not all bad news, though, and can mellow out quite a bit over a game of cards (At least until he wins). Deep down, he's actually got a heart heavy with insecurity as he feels afraid of being outclassed by others, and by extension, is afraid of letting down his family and those in his small hometown who root for him and take pride in his success.

alt text

And here's a little bonus image! This is actually the format I used for The Oven and Big Guns, but they include some unfinished character designs I haven't finalized yet, so that's why I haven't posted them anywhere yet. But I enjoy making these to breathe a little more life and character into these guys, and also give an idea of how big they are, since they are...quite big.

• alt text

I really like Skeledirge. (Which comes as a surprise to literally no one) I've not drawn any of the Gen IX Pokémon yet, outside of a couple miserable attempts at Koraidon back when it and Miradon were first revealed, so I wanted to draw my big goofball of a partner, Crispodile (Crispy for short). I love my big fiery croc pal, and these were fun to whip up this evening. Might return to this to clean them up and color them at some point, but if not then I thought it might still be worth posting the sketches anyway.

• alt text

"This is just a silly sketch," I said. "I'm not gonna ink it or anything," I said.

I spent 6 hours on this. It's not even that good. But I did have fun making it. Never drawn any of these Pokémon before (Aside from the Chesnaught redesign sketch I did a few years back, if that even counts), but I've been replaying Y these past couple days and am now faced with the realization that I actually do like Chesnaught after all. I hate that my friends know my tastes better than I do. I still don't like his color palette, though.

• alt text

I finally finished Pokémon Y. Yes, for the first time. Yes, I know the game is 10 years old this year. (And for those of you who didn't realize that, I'm not sorry) I had some pretty intensely...opinionated thoughts on the latter quarter of the game, and I wanted to draw my party in order to make something good out of it, because wow, I have a lot to say about this game, and very little of it is kind.

I won't rant about it here, though. This is the team who got me through it all, and I grew to like them all a lot. (Except for Supecks. He was garbage, thanks to his nature lowering his Attack, which already had literally ZERO IVs) I had a lot of fun working on this for the last few days. I can't wait to look at it tomorrow and hate it.

• alt text

Another Ajax because he's fun to draw. I actually "finished" this on Saturday, but realized the next day that I needed to fix some of the colors, and only did so tonight. Originally, I wanted to try a monochromatic thing with just black and red, but ultimately I felt like the tone and mood of the pose didn't lend itself toward something of that intensity, so I wanted to try a messy, loosey-goosey background and color implementation. I think it would have worked better in grayscale than this, but I still had fun working on it.

• alt text
    alt text

A long time ago, around 2013 or so, I made a Kremling OC. He was pretty basic, just a really arrogant high school/college jock, and honestly I never did anything of note with him. In fact, this is the first time I've ever publicly posted art of him, though I did have a design for him back in the day. This isn't technically the same design, as the old version was just a Kritter with a tank top and a pair of gym shorts (not that this design is particularly imaginative, either), but I really wanted to draw a Kremling today, and it seemed like a fun exercise to redesign an old character of mine that never really saw the light of day.

• alt text

Stayed up too late a few nights ago listening to Black 2/White 2's OST (Which was surprisingly huge even when you don't count all the music it reused from the original Black/White) and ended up doodling these. Then I stayed up too late again last night (Though not as late as the last time) while listening to Dragon Quest III's Super Famicom OST and colored these guys in. Druddigon Sleepy Version and Druddigon Dreamy Version.

• @Skoops As I said elsewhere, I enjoy this piece of your OC! You did a great job with the dramatic lighting and the emotions captured by him not quite looking at the camera are impactful. Good stuff, I'd love to see more like this and in this digital watercolor-esque style.

Druddigon on the right in your latest piece also looks like it was colored in much the same manner, and it is just so aesthetically pleasing. <3 Thanks for sharing.