Movies in 2018

• itt use this thread to talk about the best, worst, weirdest, sexiest, etc. movies you've seen in 2018 (try to keep it limited to movies released last year)

To kick it off, here's my top 5 4 for the 2018 movies I've seen:

• Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
      Possible recency bias, but this has to be my favorite movie of 2018 hands down given that I've seen it three times and would have totally been down to see it a fourth. Animation was stunning and was perfectly complemented by the soundtrack in key moments and transitions, and the writing overall had strong pacing that balanced more moving parts than your average modern superhero movie. Easily the most stylistic movie I've seen in a long time that exercised the right amount of self-awareness to leverage the salience of Spider-Man in pop-culture to present it in an incredibly fun way that literally anyone can watch.

• Incredibles 2
      Not surprised that I liked this movie, but rather how much I liked it. I didn't watch the original Incredibles until much later and didn't feel all that impressed compared to the consensus opinion surrounding it. However, I walked out of watching the sequel and didn't realize until I got into the car that my socks were left behind in the theater. Villain had a far more fleshed out backstory and some of the lighter moments had noticeably better comedic timing that yielded more memorable scenes than the original (that diner scene will forever stay with me).

• BlackKkKlansman
      I've never seen a Spike Lee movie before, so I didn't know what I signed up for stylistically. Went in expecting a gritty crime drama with biting racial commentary, but walking out laughing more in two hours than I did all week. No I don't need a hug, but the point is that despite the heavy subject matter I was surprised at how tonally balanced it was without losing sight of the gravity of the subject matter. The dialogue and banter between the characters went a long way in making it entertaining from beginning to end. John David Washington killed it in his role as the lead. My biggest complain is how they totally Hollywood-fied the real life story it's based on, but that's relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.

• Crazy Rich Asians
      Could go on and on about the wins this movie garnered for diversity in Hollywood, but even to set that aside I thoroughly enjoyed it. As a sucker from rom-coms, it was great to see how they deviated from a handful of tropes you normally see while still operating brilliantly within the convention of what makes that particular genre enjoyable to watch. Constance Wu was great, and she terrifically portrayed a female lead who achieved harmonious balance of being simultaneously both strong and vulnerable—she wasn't rash, insufferable, or emotionally impotent, and I feel a lot of the success of any rom-com comes from how accessible the main lead is for the audience to empathize with. Overall a fun ride that navigated the absurdity of the top 1% of the top 1% with an narrative through-line in the form of a touching love story with themes that a lot of first generation Americans might be able to relate to.

Honorary Mentions (aka movies I'm too lazy to write another goddamn paragraph for)

• Black Panther
    • Bohemian Rhapsody
    • Ant-Man and the Wasp
    • Avengers Infinity War

2018 Movies Immediate To-Watch List

• Hereditary
    • Sorry to Bother You
    • Isle of Dogs
    • Eight Grade

• @Ikarou said in Movies in 2018:

2018 Movies Immediate To-Watch List

• Sorry to Bother You
    • Eight Grade

I had exactly two movies to recommend from last year and it was these two. They're both great movies, and incredibly self-aware in the sense that they know exactly what their audiences are and what they're trying to be.

• @League Ooh, that's an interesting assessment. How would you describe their respective audiences? I only have a vague conception at best of what each movie is like storywise and stylistically.